All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Miscellaneous Projects (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 12-28-2005, 05:37 AM

stu is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Need help making a thermometer!

I'm in 6th grade and am making a thermometer for science fair project.
I got the idea of making a thermometer from a several web sites but am having trouble getting it to work properly.
The procedure requires you to put colored water into a plastic or glass bottle
with a straw going through the lid down into the liquid. I have sealed the hole in the top of the lid with wax and clay as the directions suggest.
You are suppossed to put a white card behind the straw so that the water level can be seen eaisly
The water is supposed to get higher in the straw when the temp. goes up but, it will not come up enough in the straw to be able to measure cold temps. like the web sites suggest it will. The water level does not come up enough to show in the white card area
How can I get the water level up enough to mark temperatures on the card?
I want to compare temperatures with a commercial themometer,
HELP!!!

Last edited by stu; 12-28-2005 at 05:46 AM..
Old 12-31-2005, 05:51 AM

fuzzy is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to fuzzy Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzy

Colored water? Since some thermometers use alcohol, why not substitute the water with alcohol? But I'm not really an expert, so I can't really help.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:17 AM

trina101 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default go to

I know it sounds dumb but go to [url]www.tvokids.org[/url] and then games, dr science lab amd do > Its hot in here< experiment then itll tell you how sorry im not a genius