All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Don't Have Any Ideas Yet? > Middle School Science Fair Project Ideas
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2005, 07:13 PM

sCience-dummIi is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Fast. Simple. Science Fair Project Idea

hi. Well, i am a 8th grader here searching for a science experiement that is appropriate for my age. Can someone please, please help me think of a simple but not too easy science fair projects that can be done in around 2-3 days or maybe even 4 days? the best would be one day, but whatever. There's no theme for my project, just need and an idea that yu need to set up an experiement and what i can learn from it. Thank you very very much in advance.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default 3 day science project idea

Hi there!

Can you be a little more specific. Are you interested in any particular area of science? Eg. Chemistry, or Biology? or perhaps something even more specific like Food Science or Bacteriology?

We'd love to help, if you can give us a hint as to your inclination!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team B)

satfire311 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to satfire311
Default Well...

Iknow I have said this about 100 times, but this exeriment only takes 24 hours. You could, once again, try an osomosis experiment using egg shells

The Harder the Conflict... The Sweeter the Victory
Believe, and things will happen

Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM

sCience-dummIi is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Hi there!

Can you be a little more specific. Are you interested in any particular area of science? Eg. Chemistry, or Biology? or perhaps something even more specific like Food Science or Bacteriology?

I need something that can be done in 2dys or something so i think food science and physics would be the area that's good enough for me, but the school doesn't require it to be in any area, so if you can think of something that can be done in 1 or 2 days, then it would be fine, but not too easy.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Mentor (Team D)

T_BOC is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to T_BOC Send a message via Yahoo to T_BOC
Default hey!!!

Physics is my favorite so i'll try to get something that'll take about 2-3days.
In the begining God made heaven and the earth.And the earth was without form,and void;and the darkness was upon the face of the deep.And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.And God said,"let there be light":and there was light .And God saw the light was good :and God divided the light from darkness.And God called the light day and the darkness night.And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis chapter 1 verses 1-5
T_BOC
Old 12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Mentor (Team D)

How about how to make a rocket out of cooking foods if so here you go. Film canisters (Fuji film brand; many photo labs will give empty canisters away for free)
• Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
• Vinegar (acetic acid)

Note: Do this project outside. The baking soda and vinegar reaction makes a mess! Plus your rocket is going to fly high! As soon as you put the lid on the film canister, move out of the way—it can blow fast!

Instructions
1. Take the top off the film canister and pack the lid tightly with baking soda.
2. Pour about two teaspoons of vinegar into the film canister.
3. Gently put the lid on the film canister and snap closed.
4. Turn the canister upside-down, put it on the ground, and stand back.
5. After a few seconds, the canister will shoot up into the air. If your rocket always fizzles, try a film canister with a tighter-fitting lid.

What’s Happening
You are creating a chemical reaction between the baking soda (NaHCO3) and the vinegar (CH3COOH). The vinegar reacts with the baking soda, producing carbon dioxide gas (CO2). Pressure builds up until the small canister can no longer contain the gas. The lid pops off, the canister shoots up into the air, the gas escapes, and the pressure is released.
In the begining God made heaven and the earth.And the earth was without form,and void;and the darkness was upon the face of the deep.And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.And God said,"let there be light":and there was light .And God saw the light was good :and God divided the light from darkness.And God called the light day and the darkness night.And the evening and the morning were the first day.

T_BOC
Old 12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Mentor (Team D)

You can use this one for physics. your choice It's not that long to make but it's a good idea.The magnetic field around a permanent magnet, like the gravitational field around a massive object, is not only invisible, but hard for students to comprehend. With no concrete experience to draw from, they tend to ignore this basic concept, or at best, memorize facts about it.

PURPOSE:

This activity shows how to map a magnetic field, and to find how a bar magnet's field combines with the Earth's magnetic field to form a complex resultant field.

OBJECTIVES: Students will be able to:

Use a compass to determine the direction of a magnetic field at any point in space.

Explain how two magnetic fields combine.

Predict the location of areas where two fields can cancel each other to leave no resultant field. ( "Bermuda Triangles" )
RESOURCES/MATERIALS:

Weak to moderate strength bar magnets correctly labeled, very small compasses (sold as 'flux path compasses' ), butcher paper.

ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:

Ask students to write down several things that they already know about force fields. After several minutes, ask for volunteers to share ideas. Work up interest in the topic.
Demonstrate the familiar field around a bar magnet with iron filings. Ask them how this is affected by Earth's magnetic field. Point out that with a more sensitive detector they can see how the two combine.
Have each student team :
tape a large square of butcher paper down to their table, large enough that a compass can lose a bar magnet's effect. Lay a bar magnet on the paper and trace around it. Label N and S.
lay a small compass on the paper, touching the bar magnet anywhere. Place a dot outside the compass case, in line with the end of the needle away from the magnet. Move the compass in the direction the needle points until it is just beyond the dot you just made. Place a second dot where the needle points now. Continue to move the compass and make dots until you reach another point on the bar magnet or the edge of the paper. Connect the dots with a smooth curve. Repeat for other lines, spread out more or less evenly over the area.
determine and label a direction for each line. The N-seeking tip of a compass will point to the N pole of the Earth or the S end of a bar magnet. Place arrowheads on each line.
find and label areas where each of the two fields dominate so much that they appear to be the only factor. Find and label an area where the two fields cancel, and explain their evidence for this canceling.
Post the field maps. Have each team explain which side of their map faced geomagnetic N, and how the geomagnetic lines were "warped" by the bar magnet. Discuss any crossed field lines - is this really possible?
TYING IT ALL TOGETHER:

Make and discuss overhead transparencies of the geomagnetic field as seen from space, stretched by the solar wind.
Ask for similarities to gravitational and electrical fields, as well as differences.
For that special group that really needs some extra attention, be sure to tape an extra magnet to the bottom of their table before class. Ask them to hypothesize why theirs is the only field map with an extra series of curves.....

T_BOC
Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM

Tamaz is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Hi there!

HI. U SIAD U KNEW A 3 DAY PRJECT CAN U HELP ME OUT?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:06 AM

Tamaz is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Thanks

I Need A 3 Day Project Verry Fast. (10th Grade)
Old 01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team B)

hotcurry is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

You use different types of liquids such as vinegar,sprite, and food coloring with water to test to a egg with. This last about 3 days. To record your results, you measure the circumfernece of the egg. You pour the liquid into a cup of 50 mL. Put the egg in and let it stay overnight then measure the cirumfernece. The circumference is the area of a circle, in this case the egg, you multiply pi which is 3.14 times the number of centimeters around the egg.
You can use a measuring tape to see the number of centimeters.

I hope that did any help for you.