All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 AM

gia1506 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Unhappy cellular respiration

i am doing a science fair project on cellular respiration and i have no idea what the heck i am supposed to do i need help
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Expert Contributor

boring_sister is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to boring_sister Send a message via Yahoo to boring_sister
Post help

first thing you need to do in making an investigatory project is to research aboput cellular respirations. ask how do they respirate?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Oh dearie! Cellular respiration is a complicated process consisting multiple other processes. These processes are ones you cannot observe--not even with a microscope.

However, there is something related. Try using ferments, such as yeast and different bacteria (you can probably ask your school science teacher or lab technician, the person who sets up the labs, to buy cultures of these bacteria.) Cellular respiration is using oxygen to take energy stored in the form of chemical bonds in the food. Fermentation doesn't use oxygen. Let's say you choose yeast. And you leave it out in the air. And for another one, you expose it to air. And another one, half the time you expose it to air, half the time you don't. In the end, the ferment which is the most acidic is the one with the most fermentation. Because during fermentation, carbon dioxide is produced, and it becomes more and more acidic as there is more carbon dioxide. So you can measure how you fermentation you have with pH paper.

Good luck!

Also, you shouldn't follow my prodecures exactly as it is written. Try finding what you think is the best way for you. Also, you might tweak it a bit--not exposure to oxygen, maybe a different variable--whatever you want! Just have fun doing it!