All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 AM

sandra is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Which mouth is cleaner? A human or Dog?

My daughter has a science experiment to do. She wants to know who's mouth is cleaner, a human or a dog's. I need to know how to help her do this. These are the steps we have so far:
1.Get saliva samples from dogs and humans.
2.place the saliva on slides.
3.place slides in culture plate. (By the way I can't find them anywhere) Does she need to put them in culture plates?
4.Place culture plate in warm area. (Is this necessary?) Do we need an incubator? Any suggestions?
5.Wait a few days to see how much bacteria forms.
6.Take out slides of culture plates and see how much bacteria has formed.(what kind of microscope does she need?) How can she measure the bacteria?
7.Record results.
I need answers to these questions ASAP.
Thank You
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Mentor/Forum Moderator

RaZoR is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to RaZoR
Thumbs up Dogs!

I don't think this is the way you do it. The way you do I believe, is put in a special liquid into mouths and then wherever there is plaque, the liquid sticks on. Then you can tell which mouth is cleaner. Actually, dogs mouths are cleaner, in case you didn't know. Any questions, just PM me.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team A)
Expert Contributor

Science_Girl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Science_Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Science_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
My daughter has a science experiment to do. She wants to know who's mouth is cleaner, a human or a dog's. I need to know how to help her do this. These are the steps we have so far:
1.Get saliva samples from dogs and humans.
2.place the saliva on slides.
3.place slides in culture plate. (By the way I can't find them anywhere) Does she need to put them in culture plates?
4.Place culture plate in warm area. (Is this necessary?) Do we need an incubator? Any suggestions?
5.Wait a few days to see how much bacteria forms.
6.Take out slides of culture plates and see how much bacteria has formed.(what kind of microscope does she need?) How can she measure the bacteria?
7.Record results.
I need answers to these questions ASAP.
Thank You
She would need a compound light microscope.
A Incubator would be an important assential because the heat will make the bacteria grow faster and there fore giving you faster results.

Research Shows that Dogs have cleaner mouths... Look up on a search engine such as [url]www.alltheweb.com[/url] to find out more information.
up an dstart over again...