All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grade 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Mentor/FLP Member

lifescience* is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Wink Can plants grow in the dark?????

Please help me.. Its due thursday!!!

Hotty_Girl!!!!:p

Here is the key to my heart But don't lose it!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 AM

AshleyakaAngel is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Talking Help is on the way!

Yes, plants can grow in the dark but they have to be in the right spot. They grow better in the sun and they are better by the windowsill. But that's just my oppion. Another thing they may not grow in the dark but they still survive.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Mentor/FLP Member

lifescience* is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Help

Anyone else??
Anything??
Pleze help!!

Hotty_Girl!!!!:p

Here is the key to my heart But don't lose it!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Lightbulb Well..

In complete darkness, where there isn't a bit of sunlight, there is a small chance they will survive. Because they do need sunlight+ CO2+ H2O= food for the plant. If there isn't sunlight then no, they don't have all the ingredients.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

sciencefreak is a brilliant scientist admired by others

Certain planrs which grow near the poles under the thick layer of ice do survive in the dark. the question is how?

Marine plants need light in order to photosynthesise and grow. So what happens in an environment where there is no daylight for four months of the year, and for much of the rest of the time there is a thick covering of ice? These are the conditions faced by plants in Antarctic marine coastal waters. Nevertheless, these plants can grow well enough to help support a very rich array of benthic marine fauna (see “Assessing biodiversity”).

The amount of light that gets through the ice to the water below is a key influence on organisms living under persistent sea ice. This determines whether plants can photosynthesise, and consequently can affect the amount and type of food available for herbivores. Thus sea-ice affects both primary (plant) and secondary (animal) production.

Monotropa uniflora can actually grow in dark (and spoooooooooky) environments because it is not dependent on light for photosynthesis. You can find this plant in rich habitats-- dense moist forests with much surface leaf litter, often in a situation that is too shaded for autotrophic (photosynthetic) growth.

The Newtons and friends were taking tea
Beneath the boughs of an apple tree,
When a falling fruit landed on the
Head of the head of the family.
Mrs. Newton cried, 'Well deary me!
That could've caused an injury'.
But clever Isaac alone could see,
The situation's true gravity.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencefreak
Certain planrs which grow near the poles under the thick layer of ice do survive in the dark. the question is how?

Marine plants need light in order to photosynthesise and grow. So what happens in an environment where there is no daylight for four months of the year, and for much of the rest of the time there is a thick covering of ice? These are the conditions faced by plants in Antarctic marine coastal waters. Nevertheless, these plants can grow well enough to help support a very rich array of benthic marine fauna (see “Assessing biodiversity”).

The amount of light that gets through the ice to the water below is a key influence on organisms living under persistent sea ice. This determines whether plants can photosynthesise, and consequently can affect the amount and type of food available for herbivores. Thus sea-ice affects both primary (plant) and secondary (animal) production.

Monotropa uniflora can actually grow in dark (and spoooooooooky) environments because it is not dependent on light for photosynthesis. You can find this plant in rich habitats-- dense moist forests with much surface leaf litter, often in a situation that is too shaded for autotrophic (photosynthetic) growth.
Interesting...

This is my view on this. I agree with Smarty C, that most plants (plants that you and I know) would NOT live long in dark (since they can't photosynthesize). They would use up the energy they have, and that's it for them.

However, if there is energy available, plants can grow for a while. For example, a seed sprouts no matter what, and the sprout doesn't have chlorophyll. But after being exposed to the light, the sprout begins to turn green and get chlorophyll. Without getting light, the sprout cannot live long, and would die in a sort of whitish yellow shade.

So growth isn't dependent on photosynthesis, but it is dependent on an energy source, and that usually is photosynthesis.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

sciencefreak is a brilliant scientist admired by others

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Interesting...

This is my view on this. I agree with Smarty C, that most plants (plants that you and I know) would NOT live long in dark (since they can't photosynthesize). They would use up the energy they have, and that's it for them.

However, if there is energy available, plants can grow for a while. For example, a seed sprouts no matter what, and the sprout doesn't have chlorophyll. But after being exposed to the light, the sprout begins to turn green and get chlorophyll. Without getting light, the sprout cannot live long, and would die in a sort of whitish yellow shade.

So growth isn't dependent on photosynthesis, but it is dependent on an energy source, and that usually is photosynthesis.
Your last statement doesn't sound right - photosynthesis is NOT an energy source. It is infact process of using energy in sunlight to convert water and carbon dioxide into carbohydrates and oxygen.

The Newtons and friends were taking tea
Beneath the boughs of an apple tree,
When a falling fruit landed on the
Head of the head of the family.
Mrs. Newton cried, 'Well deary me!
That could've caused an injury'.
But clever Isaac alone could see,
The situation's true gravity.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM

cobra is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

I think that you could start to grow a potato in the dark
because they start by growing in the dark
Old 05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencefreak
Your last statement doesn't sound right - photosynthesis is NOT an energy source. It is infact process of using energy in sunlight to convert water and carbon dioxide into carbohydrates and oxygen.
Sorry, I must not have been clear. I meant that photosynthesis is vital in plants, cause it is the process of obtaining energy. However, in some bacteria and other organisms, different chemicals can be used to produce the energy instead of sunlight.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM

asparagusgirl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

YES! plants grow in the dark...a great example of this is white asparagus. it's grown underground. once you expose it to light it starts to grow and turn green!

[url]http://www.gourmettrading.net/GTC/consumers_kids.html#experiment[/url]