All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2006, 03:36 PM

tommytom68 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Which Liquid Freezes faster?

I am hoping someone can help me. Little time to get to a library and I am burnt out on Science. Can someone help me find some websites that will allow me to help my son with his Science Project of...........Which Liquid Freezes faster? We need to answer Why things freeze? When they freeze, what conditions? and How does, what is in a liquid, effect how it freezes?

Any thoughts?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

Tom
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team D)

brainygirl is a brilliant scientist admired by others
Send a message via Yahoo to brainygirl
Post Hope this Helped

I would like to know what kind of liquid that you are talking about is more of a like hot water vs cold water and you will be putting them in the freezer to see which freezes faster or what??

Hot water cools faster than cold water because they both follow
approximately the rate equation delta T = -k*dT/dt. The rate is
approximate primarily because of differences in convection, but
there is no doubt about average rate being higher for the hot
liquid.

People have claimed that the freezer has dry enough air that the hot
liquid will evaporate more than the cold liquid. This would result in
some additional heat being removed by the energy needed for vaporization
(thus speeding the rate it cooled), and more importantly, would result in
their being less water to freeze than the liquid that started cold. (Note: if you are using a close container it might also affect it.)

Well good luck!!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 PM

librapink is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytom68
I am hoping someone can help me. Little time to get to a library and I am burnt out on Science. Can someone help me find some websites that will allow me to help my son with his Science Project of...........Which Liquid Freezes faster? We need to answer Why things freeze? When they freeze, what conditions? and How does, what is in a liquid, effect how it freezes?

Any thoughts?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

Tom
milk freeze the faster .it take for 30 min or 1 hour in a gallon.Why thing freeze ? When the atoms or molecules in a liquid are cooled,they don't rattle around as much. Then they can stick better to each other .The hared part to undstand then is not so much why liquid get sticker and have a harder time flowing when they're cold but rather why they abruptly form real crystals of soild- ordered patterns of atom or molecules.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Default maybe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytom68

Any thoughts?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

Tom
Liquid freezes because it has a certain Freezing piont like water, its freezing point is 100 degrees. Find that of the liquid you need. What is in the liquid changes the viscosity, like if you put dirt into water its density changes. The molecules don't move past each other like before the dirt. That will mke the freezing point highten or lower.

hope all goes well,
SmartyC