All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM

duchess1mill is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default boiling salt water

did the experiment... which boils faster... plain water or salt water. we found that the salt water boils faster. but, i need to know why. what is the chemical reaction. why does the water with salt in it boil faster.... HELP!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

First of all, boiling isn't a chemical reaction. Salt dissolving in water isn't a chemical change.

I don't know how your experiment is done, but salt water is suppose to boil slower than normal water. Do you know salt added to ice melts it? Why? Because it lowers the freezing point of water, so it needs to be more cold to freeze. Salt also makes the boiling point of water higher, so it needs more heat to boil salt water.

Good luck solving that. You know, your conclusions doesn't have to be supported by evidence. What you get is what you get. Just identify the reasons why salt water boiled slower than plain water. Perhaps it's that you didn't regulate the flame, or didn't keep the amount of water the same.

Or you can try to do your experiment again.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)

pepsifan5 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default i think that........

some where in da expierment you might of messed up......either try it again or try soemthing else like determine the fat in poatato chips or something i am fresh out of ideas sorry
Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsifan5
some where in da expierment you might of messed up......either try it again or try soemthing else like determine the fat in poatato chips or something i am fresh out of ideas sorry
I suggest that you either do the same experiment again or stop at the results you have. YOUR RESULTS ARE YOUR RESULTS. Again, all you have to do is identify your sources of error. Please do not start another experiment, because the results don't have to match with what is expected. If your teacher will take off points because your results aren't the perfect ones, well, your teacher isn't a good teacher. (And trust me, considering that you are from K-5, your teacher will 99% accept the fact that sometimes, experiments go awry.)

Good luck!