All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Physics (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Talking !!!!!!!If You Do Science Fairs You Should Read This!!!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to tell everyone that if your doing a science fair project you should give youself alot of time. I have been reading many forums saying that they have a science fair due in a couple of days. Try and give yourself at least a couple of weeks. If you do so you will probubly do alot better and you will feel better to!
Thanks

Last edited by Grinner; 02-15-2006 at 05:49 PM..
Old 01-28-2006, 06:45 AM

hiperlittlescientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation I'm about to blow!!!

Hi! I'm doing a project on the strength of wood. We're supposed to write a research paper. To do that I need research,right? Well I cant find anything useful!!!! (Yet) I'm in desperate need of help and QUICK! (please ) i love these smilies!
p.s. I'm not sure if this is physics or not.

Last edited by hiperlittlescientist; 01-28-2006 at 07:08 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Strength of wood? Well, do you know what wood is? Wood is actually dead xylem cells in plants. Well, then you'll have to know what xylem is, and there's your research!

Well, let me give you a little intro anyways...

Firstly, xylem is a type of cambium cell. There are two types: xylem and pholem (check that I spell pholem right). Anyways, cambium tissue in a plant transport water and nutrients up and down a plant. However, only woody plants have enough dead xylem to make wood (and their xylem is arranged in a different order), which is why many plants, such as sunflowers, have soft stems even though they DO HAVE XYLEM.

Here, you can get started. Oh, a few terms to look up. Herbacious stems. (always check my spelling. I'm sure of xylem and cambium.) Herbacious stems are basically soft stems.

Well, since xylem equals wood, therefore, what plant the xylem came from should therefore determine how strong the wood is.

Good luck! (I like your experiment lots. Check different woods from different plants.) Update us with your experiment and research paper. And remember the correct bibliography and footnotes format if your teacher requires it. Ask me again if you need the correct format!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 PM

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinner
Hello everyone,

I wanted to tell everyone that if your doing a science fair project you should give youself alot of time. I have been reading many forums saying that they have a science fair due in a couple of days. Try and give yourself at least a couple of weeks. If you do so you will probubly do alot better and you will feel better to!
Thanks
I agree full heartedly. Also, another pointer is...Mad, or someone is on the FLP team, I think this thread belongs to the bio forum now cause I started talking about xylem and pholem and all that.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperlittlescientist
Hi! I'm doing a project on the strength of wood. We're supposed to write a research paper. To do that I need research,right? Well I cant find anything useful!!!! (Yet) I'm in desperate need of help and QUICK! (please ) i love these smilies!
p.s. I'm not sure if this is physics or not.
Look up what kind of woods are used for different things. like what kind of wood is best for houses,m that would probably the strongist kind. and waht kkind is fire resistent. or omthing like that.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Strength of wood? Well, do you know what wood is? Wood is actually dead xylem cells in plants. Well, then you'll have to know what xylem is, and there's your research!

Well, let me give you a little intro anyways...

Firstly, xylem is a type of cambium cell. There are two types: xylem and pholem (check that I spell pholem right). Anyways, cambium tissue in a plant transport water and nutrients up and down a plant. However, only woody plants have enough dead xylem to make wood (and their xylem is arranged in a different order), which is why many plants, such as sunflowers, have soft stems even though they DO HAVE XYLEM.

Here, you can get started. Oh, a few terms to look up. Herbacious stems. (always check my spelling. I'm sure of xylem and cambium.) Herbacious stems are basically soft stems.

Well, since xylem equals wood, therefore, what plant the xylem came from should therefore determine how strong the wood is.

Good luck! (I like your experiment lots. Check different woods from different plants.) Update us with your experiment and research paper. And remember the correct bibliography and footnotes format if your teacher requires it. Ask me again if you need the correct format!
no offense, but is the average mind supposed 2 b able 2 interprit that? i mean, i'm lost at the like 2nd sentence. lol. keep it simpler? just in case.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikelost
no offense, but is the average mind supposed 2 b able 2 interprit that? i mean, i'm lost at the like 2nd sentence. lol. keep it simpler? just in case.
Sorry!

I didn't want to explain everything too into detail, because it's suppose to become a research paper. I'm only giving some key points and keywords to research.

One more suggestion...you know about maple, oak, and the woods usually used for strength. You could either compare those, or compare some of these strong woods with some weaker woods. As for why they're stronger than the others, it's up to you to research. Good luck! (If you're studying advanced biology, use your biology textbook. Read up on the section about plant tissues. Cambium tissues to be more specific. Or just go to google.com, which is 10 times simpler.)
Old 02-15-2006, 01:23 PM

hiperlittlescientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile thanx anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikelost
Look up what kind of woods are used for different things. like what kind of wood is best for houses,m that would probably the strongist kind. and waht kkind is fire resistent. or omthing like that.

Hey! thanx a ton 2 every1- and sorry this was so late getting back- but I decided to do another project! Im so happy! but all your info was helpful for background and all that... anyway thanx!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:01 PM

Jordan Pardy is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

I don't have a large amount of time.. less than a month
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 AM

smilecheergirl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Cool Science fair projects? No big deal

Hello everyone,
I know that you always dread doing a science project. Well you don't have to. If you pick something you like, then have fun with your project. Act like your science project is an activity that you are doing. Believe me if you think of it like that the science fair project will blow over. Oh, and always give your self time do do your projest, like 2 weeks. Ginner your help as great!! Thanks for everything. Now try to take my advice

Your happy helper

Last edited by smilecheergirl; 08-28-2006 at 07:19 AM..