All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Miscellaneous Projects (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM

carrtoondragon is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Probability

I am wanting to do a project on coin flipping,I've already got the coins I want to flip and see if any spacific coin gets a higher amount....well anyways I had a few questions about my project that maybe some of you could help with.

#1 Should I add something else?(like rolling 6 different dice in a box?)
#2 I have to write a 1000 word Research paper and was wondering what would be the best thing to write about,my ideas so far are: World currency(not all countries just a few spacific one's)along with information on US Currency and how it's made; or math, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough information on either,and I'm pretty sure I can't combine them xP
#3 I'm homeschooled so I was wondering if that should change my project in any way?
#4 Any thing else?

thx for any suggestions/help ^^,
Carrt
Old 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM

O and also I was planning on flipping 10 coins,and the way I'd flip them would be catch them and put them on the back of my hand, 8 are from the US and 2 are Canadian(Which are lighter).
Old 10-18-2005, 04:35 PM

xD,I hope this is the last footnote,and I need 10 Bib. Cards,I think it's 8 books and 2 periodicals at least.....
Old 10-21-2005, 05:45 AM

No one's replied....
Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team D)

brainygirl is a brilliant scientist admired by others
Send a message via Yahoo to brainygirl
Post Probability

Hi, Cartoon

I think that your ideas are wonderful, but as you mentioned before about the dice you can do probability like, use the 6 dice roll them in drop them in bucket with and with out water, you can try to see which numbers come out the most. Also compare the 2 together (bucket with and without water) see the diffrence.

Was there a pattern or not ?
Does the water affect the rolled dice in the bucket? If so why?

The type of science fair you are doing relates to math & science , such as why the water effects the rolled dice?

Your science fair project should be a lot of fun!

You should test dice with water and without water each 100 times.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Mentor

Ravencraft is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

If your doing a project on probability, no other factors are needed, no matter the weight or types of coins, if it has two sides, the probabity if 50% for each side. Same with the dice, 33% for each side. If you want to do something a bit more challenging, make a "spinner" have a total of 20 sections and label them 1-4, with 1 having the most, then 2, then 3, and 4 having the least. Then have a set amount you are going to spin it. You can figure this out without testing it. Do what you would like though. What Brainygirl was suggestion added some physics into it. Also, does your report have to relate to your experiment?