All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2005, 07:41 AM

blondex0barbie is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question tests on water

I need some help. I am doing my science fair topic on the difference in chemicals in rural and urban areas' water. I am going to take samples from different areas but I'm not sure what kind of tests and chemicals I can use to test the water... Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

theBman is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to theBman Send a message via Skype™ to theBman

Well, you could do a Ph test on the water samples, or the amount of bacteria in the water, and compare it to where you found it adn see if you can figure out how that would affect it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Mentor (Team A)

rachaelroxursox2 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to rachaelroxursox2

To make a ph indicator you can use cabbage juice heres a link:
chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa012803a.htm
ooo ooo

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, FUNNY MONKEY
Old 01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Thumbs up

Personally, I don't think cabbage juice is a good idea, since it is so imprecise. I suggest pH paper.

For example, if you have a sample of water at a pH of 5, and you have one at a pH of 6, it'll be hard, if not impossible to tell the difference. Use pH paper.

Have access to a microscope? I don't think you'll be able to the small bactria under a school microscope (the compound light microscopes), but you might want to try.

If you have access to a spectrophotometer or colorimeter and distilled water (that you can trust), use distilled water to set the spectrophometer to zero, then see use the spectrophotometer to see how "clear" the water is. I recommend a colorimeter attached to a scientific calculator so it is exact--you just have to read the number.

Also, I don't know if there's a way you can test for chlorine. Try asking your teachers if you can test for the concentration of chlorine (or even fluorine--but in its compound form). One more idea--there are water purifiers that remove chlorine you can buy from the store. Maybe you want to check out that type of water.

Good luck!

And post any questions/concerns!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Regi11 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile

If you have access to a recreational pool supply store, most have test strips for chlorine, ph, and bacteria. Also a good tip for "brownie points" is try water samples from different facets too.