All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 01-08-2006, 01:19 PM

incredigirl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Arrow Grade 11 Biology Project - Cryobiology/Freezing Tissue

I'm in grade 11 and really want to do a science fair project. I have been considering Cryobiology, like when they freeze animals and plants, but my problem is all I have been able to find is information on the subject nothing I could test or use. Could anybody help me by explaining a quick project idea on this topic, I'm open to anything!

Thanks!

incredigirl
Old 01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Default Maybe...

This may sound wierd, but how about...

Seeing if freezing an animal actually preserves them intirely. Like maybe get a fish and freeze him in some water or something, then see by the end of a few weeks see if it is still perfectly preserved.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Exclamation

Okay, a few pointers...

you can't possibly freeze anything in water and expect them to be alive. The point of crybiology is you freeze the whole organism so quickly that the cells just immediately stop there. The reason why you can't freeze humans is because humans are too big, so humans would freeze slowly and they would die if the cells aren't frozen instantly. You have to use liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen is colder than water, so the organism would freeze quickly. And the organism has to be small. Also, anything can't be frozen for too long. You can experiment with goldfish. (From experience, I have saw goldfish being frozen in liquid nitrogen and be revived by putting them quickly back into regular water. ) Check around how big a goldfish could be, and how long you can put the goldfish in liquid nitrogen, before you can't revive it anymore. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Regular Contributor

Living_Chemistry is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Okay, a few pointers...

you can't possibly freeze anything in water and expect them to be alive. The point of crybiology is you freeze the whole organism so quickly that the cells just immediately stop there. The reason why you can't freeze humans is because humans are too big, so humans would freeze slowly and they would die if the cells aren't frozen instantly. You have to use liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen is colder than water, so the organism would freeze quickly. And the organism has to be small. Also, anything can't be frozen for too long. You can experiment with goldfish. (From experience, I have saw goldfish being frozen in liquid nitrogen and be revived by putting them quickly back into regular water. ) Check around how big a goldfish could be, and how long you can put the goldfish in liquid nitrogen, before you can't revive it anymore. Good luck!
I don't know if this is entirely true, because many people believe that in the future they will have a cure to bring them back, so many people pay to freeze themselves (or even just their heads!) I watched this documentary, and they put a frog in liquid nitrogen, and because of it's cell structure, it came back to life once they let it thaw. I will try to find you the documentary.

Yours truly,

Joker Jones
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Regular Contributor

Living_Chemistry is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry
Default Liquid Nitrogen

Any idea where you can find Liquid Nitrogen? My teacher says that it is dangerous, and I agree. You can't just buy it at a drug store!

Yours truly,

Joker Jones
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 AM

brenda is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to brenda Send a message via MSN to brenda Send a message via Yahoo to brenda
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Chemistry
Any idea where you can find Liquid Nitrogen? My teacher says that it is dangerous, and I agree. You can't just buy it at a drug store!

Yours truly,
i guess ur kind of cracy if you want to do something like that just tell me i can help you but is really difficult ...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

I don't think you can get liquid nitrogen if your teacher doesn't get it for you. (Try your school lab technician if you have one. You should have it if you ever use liquid nitrogen in a lab.) Check some school science companies, such as california and try sigma. I'm not sure if noncertified ppl could order it, though...

Good luck!