All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Earth Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2006, 10:04 AM

MidnightDawn is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default 8th Grade Science Project Conclusion... please read and give me feedbacks.

Like what the subject says. Please read... AND PLEASE DON'T STEAL! Give me feedbacks... advice. What should I add? What should I leave out? What should I explain to make it more clear. Thanks!

Conclusion

The original purpose for this science project, Conditions and Temperatures, was to find out whether the temperature would be colder or warmer on days that are cloudy or on days that don?t have clouds. But my idea of the project changed throughout the observations. What I first thought would happen is that the cloudier days might be warmer than the ?clear-sky? days because the clouds trap heat within the earth?s surface.
What happened when I did my observations is that on days that have rain the temperature tends to be warmer. I found that out because I didn?t just write down the days that are cloudy and days that are just sunny, but I got curious and wrote down all the conditions: sunny/clear, cloudy, fog/hazy, rain, thunderstorms, etc. And after I made graphs based on the results I noticed that on rainy days the highs and lows temperature were less than other days (see graph). The closer the spaces between the dots of the graphs, the higher the average temperature. I also made graphs on temperature at 12:53 AM vs. temperature at 12:53 PM to see the differences between day and night. But the results scattered around too much, so I think that my main graphs of the overall daily temperature were much more helpful.
My results didn?t necessarily support my hypothesis, this is because the cloudy and clear days are even and unpredictable. Like one cloudy day can have a 30 degree Fahrenheit difference between its high and low temperature and the next day the difference is only 10 degrees. It?s the same with the days that are clear. And another reason why my results did not support my hypothesis was because rainy days have higher temperatures than all the other weather conditions that I observed.
I?m not positive of why the results happened the way it did. But I think that, based on my background research, it?s because of the humidity when it rains. It might seem like it?s really cold to us, but that?s because we get wet from the water. And I think that it?s true because I?ve noticed that whenever a big storm is coming, the air outside becomes warm.
The scientific idea that my project demonstrates is ?
I?m not positive if anything unexpected happened that could have affected my results because there was a big storm at the end of December 2005 which produced a lot of rain, but I didn?t necessarily see any big changes in temperature.
If I were to do this project again, I would change a few things. I would include the humidity because now I realized that it would have been quite helpful to have. If I had more time I would observe more than just one place because the climate of the locations might be different.
I learned a lot from doing this project. The main thing that I learned is that rainy days have the highest temperature. I also learned that humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air and how it affects rain.
The thing that is useful to have that helped me a lot with my project are my data. The graphs made it easy for me to see what was happening.
What I would suggest for further research is to observe the temperature and conditions hour-by-hour, there for I would have more results.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The text that are in red are the things that I don't know what to put down. Please read it over. I really need advice. Thanks in advance.

-Jenny

[Edit]: Oh and here are these other things: Purpose
The purpose for this science project is to find whether the temperature would be colder or warmer on days that are cloudy or on days that don?t have clouds.

Hypothesis
My hypothesis is that the cloudier days might be warmer than the clear-sky days because the clouds trap heat within the earth?s surface.

Variables
Manipulated variable (control): sunny vs. cloudy
Responding variable (data): condition of the weather

I am confused about the variables though. Are those right??

And should I change my purpose around? Because I didn't just do it for sunny or cloudy. I did it for all conditions.
________
[URL="http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VF700C"]Honda VF700C[/URL]

Last edited by MidnightDawn; 01-21-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team B)

Minniesfriend is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Thumbs up Sounds Good to me!!!

Hey the title tells all... That was Great!!!!!! I Know THat you will get a good grade on that.......I think those variables are right but why don't you ask the Mad Scientist about it .
Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team B)
Regular Contributor

Jeezylovescience is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation Really good

That was great. Anybody who reads that would tell u that.