All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Special Science Discussion Topics > Cells, Tissues, Organs, And Systems
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Default The Immune System-Outline

Nonspecific Immune Defense (skin, mucus lining lungs, stomach acid)
FUNFACT tears: tears contain an antibacterial enzyme, lysozyme, that digests bacteria's peptidoglycan cell wall,)
the bacteria E. coli that lives in your large intestine--not only does it provide a main source of Vitamin K--competes with other harmful agents and prevents them from colonizing and causing disease
Complement proteins are secreted into the blood and prevent infection in a very general manner.
It binds to pathogens and attracts white blood cells (leukocytes) to destroy them by engulfing them (phagocytosis).
Some complement proteins work together to create a pore in the bacteria's plasma membrane, causing the cell to burst.
Phagocytes (neutrophils, monocytes, and macrophages--three different types of leukocytes) engulf pathogens very generally.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Default Wow

Cool new facts.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 PM

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Default Specific Immune Response: The Humoral Response

SPECIFIC IMMUNE RESPONSE (by lymphocytes)
BIGGEST CHALLENGE: The difference between self and nonself

HUMORAL RESPONSE
-by B cells (B cells are called B cells because they are made in the bone. T cells are called T cells because they are made in the thymus)
-create antibodies, also called immunoglobins
-B CELLS ARE VERY SPECIFIC-EACH TYPE OF ANTIBODY BINDS TO AND ATTACKS TO ONE TYPE OF ANTIGEN

THE ANTIBODY
-consists of a light chain and a heavy chain linked by disulfide bridges.
-both the heavy chain and the light chain consist of a variable region, whose makeup determine its antigen
-VARIABLE REGION-WHERE THE ANTIGEN BINDS TO THE ANTIBODY
-FIVE TYPES: IgA secreted in body linings, such as mucus membranes, IgE secreted in allergic responses, IgM and IgD are the ones found the B cells, IgM during infections, IgG found in blood.
-The immunoglobin genes go through recommbination (exchange of genetic material on the chromosomes)-->new immunoglobin gene with limitless possibilities (exception to the rule that all somatic cells contain the same genetic material)--> creation of new genes that express the variable regions of the antibody (B cells with immunoglobins targetted towards itself is removed)

-B cells, when sensing a pathogen, will divide into memory B-cells and plasma B-cells.
The humoral response: plasma cells become antigen factories--produce antibodies to kill the antigens

Memory b-cells--persist in circulation for a few years-->in case the same pathogen, or a similar pathogen invades the body, the reaction would be quicker. Rapid response
Therefore: VACCINES
Old 03-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Default The Cellular Response: T-cells

THE CELLULAR RESPONSE

2 different types of t-cells: cytotoxic t-cells and help t-cells.
-difference between humoral response and cellular response: cellular response is direct interaction b/w the cells instead of the release of antigens
-like b-cells, t-cells also have a wide variety of proteins expressed by t-cell receptors in membrane-->recognizes antigens on surfaces of other cells
-ANTIGEN HAS TO BE PRESENT AS PART OF A COMPLEX PROTEIN CALLED MHC (major histocompatibility complex) or HLA (human leukocyte antigens)

MHC Class I are present on surface of all cells and MHC II are present only on immune cells (leukocytes)
t-cell receptor binds to MHC I complex on cell membrane and destroys the cell

Macrophages digest antigen-->show MHC Class II complex at the cell surface-->Helper T-cells recognize it and reproduce-->stimukate B cells to proliferate into plasma cells

SELF RECOGNITION
Two types of MHC in human gene pool-one cannot recognize the other
Therefore: immune reaction against incompatible organ during organ transplation

FUN FACT: Rheumatoid arthritis is the autoimmune disease of the immune system attacking the proteins in the joints
Multiple sclerosis: autoimmune disease of the degenration of the myelin coating the neurons.

CONCLUSION: A keystone in the differentiation between self and non-self is the ability of the helper t cell to recognize its own MHC but still attack foreign, nonself MHC.