All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 09-13-2005, 06:15 PM

morhange is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default high school project on hemophilia

I was wondering how to incorperate this hereditary disease into my science fair? My family has a history of the condition; my great-grandmother passed it to two of her three sons, both of whom died in childhood, and the carrier gene to her only daughter, my grandmother, who passed it to one of my two uncle and, as far as we know, at least one of her two daughters, my mother. My aunt only has girls, and they've not been tested as to whether they are carriers or not. My younger brother is a hemophiliac, although I'm not sure if I'm a carrier yet either.

My question is, is there a way to incorperate something about this condition into my project? As a potential carrier, I have alot of knowledge about this condition and would like to be able to use it for my science fair project.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Regular Contributor

MiniMadScientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

you could do something like this...see if the blood pressure is differt with hemophilics...or if they have more red blood cells...or something or you could explain why hemophilics' blood can't clot...or what element they're missing...and explain about that element...or do a project about heredity...I am really sorry if these are bad ideas...I don't know any hemophilics
Old 09-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Mentor (Team B)

wisteria is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Red face just trying to help

I agree with minimadscientist well you could also research about the genetic structure which cause the disease...
(>.<)
"with out war we cannot appreciate peace!"

Gentle movements
of love,
The watching over from Heaven.
The eternity of love.
Wonders, Questions
that could never be answered.
But only faith
that swirls forever around us.
Praise Lord Jesus Christ!

By Wisteria

what is the meaning of life?

more to come...
Old 09-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

sciencefreak is a brilliant scientist admired by others
Lightbulb

i found this site on hemophilia. check it out
[url]http://www.genomeprairie.ca/media/regionalwinners.htm[/url]
Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

ScienceIsCool is truly a scientist!

Hi morhange

I'm inspired to know that you are interested in doing a project about this disease. This is what science is about - tackling problems that we face head on. A lot of people thing that scientists are geeks etc. However, I personally think scientists are very courageous people. It takes a tremendous amount of perseverence and character to study something for a long period of time. Sometimes, you will see no results for years and years. But still, scientists persevere. Maybe one day YOU will be the one to find a cure for hemophilia!

Anyway, as for a project, it seems that yours will have to be a study or statistical project. The webpage listed by sciencefreak is "hemophilia treatments, old and new with emphasis on medical research and advancements which allow people affected by genetic disorders to lead fuller lives". That person basically did a survey of hemophilia treatments to see how they help hemophiliacs lead fuller lives. You could do something like that. Or perhaps you could focus on the latest biotech/generic research being done by companies to attack this problem at the genetic level (if there are any such treatments).

All the best
Old 10-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Mentor (Team B)

wisteria is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Red face just trying to help

have you searched this site yet? [url]http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/[/url] I don't think it is that good but you can try!
(>.<)
"with out war we cannot appreciate peace!"

Gentle movements
of love,
The watching over from Heaven.
The eternity of love.
Wonders, Questions
that could never be answered.
But only faith
that swirls forever around us.
Praise Lord Jesus Christ!

By Wisteria