All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Miscellaneous Projects (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Adam S is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Science project terrarium

Hi, I am doing a environmental terrarium for my school science fair project.
Are you familiar with any current research on this topic and where I might find it?
Do you know if I will be able to acheive adequate results in about 8 weeks to record data?
Thank you very much for your help.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default environmental terrarium

hi! That sounds like a good project. What sort of Terrarium are you thinking of.

Also, what are trying to observe? It's best that you have an idea - for an excellent example involving crayfish in an aquarium, and their response to light, see [url]http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/project37_78.html[/url]

Here are some things that you need to know before setting up your Terrarium:

# Terrariums for mixed species generally need to be much larger than those for a single species, and are more difficult to maintain. Extra room is needed to provide the proper environmental conditions and furnishings for each species, as well as allowing each species their own space to hunt and interact somewhat naturally. Crowding different species together in a small tank can be a recipe for disaster.

# Carnivorous critters are usually not picky eaters, and will try to eat smaller cagemates of any species. This applies to animals (lizards, frogs, salamanders) that are largely insectivorous; most of these will not hesitate to hunt other small critters given the opportunity especially if confined in a tank with them. Also consider the stress you place on an animal, confining it in close quarters with a potential predator.

# Toxicity may be an issue with some frogs, salamanders, and newts. Many secrete mild skin toxins. These toxins may not be dangerous to humans, but they can accumulate in a tank and cause problems if absorbed through the skin of other tank inhabitants or if a cagemate tries to eat a toxic amphibian.

# Animals may become stressed by behaviors and displays that are unexpected and that they do no know how to intrpret. Between species that do not normally coexist, normal behaviors and benign displays may be misinterpreted, and this may lead to fighting or stress.

# Animals from different areas or habitats have differing immunities to parasites and infectious diseases. Therefore, one species may harbour a bug that it can carry with no ill-effects. However, if that bug (be it a parasite, virus or bacteria) is introduced to a species with no natural immunity, the result can be devastating.

Do let us know how your project goes!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Mentor (Team B)

wisteria is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question

I don't understand what you are talking about?
(>.<)
"with out war we cannot appreciate peace!"

Gentle movements
of love,
The watching over from Heaven.
The eternity of love.
Wonders, Questions
that could never be answered.
But only faith
that swirls forever around us.
Praise Lord Jesus Christ!

By Wisteria

what is the meaning of life?

more to come...
Old 10-29-2005, 12:09 PM

googleexpert is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default I need alot of help!!!

i need help with finding out about intrusive volcanism and what it does to the earth's crust! plz, help me, anyone.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

ScienceIsCool is truly a scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleexpert
i need help with finding out about intrusive volcanism and what it does to the earth's crust! plz, help me, anyone.
Try these pages:
[url]http://www.geo.utep.edu/pub/ortega/lectures11.html[/url]
[url]http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~wbuhay/The%20Dynamic%20Earth%20(2).htm[/url]
Old 10-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Mentor (Team B)

wisteria is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Cool

well I just want to learn and know and help... that's what this site is for to learn and help at the same time jellybeans...
(>.<)
"with out war we cannot appreciate peace!"

Gentle movements
of love,
The watching over from Heaven.
The eternity of love.
Wonders, Questions
that could never be answered.
But only faith
that swirls forever around us.
Praise Lord Jesus Christ!

By Wisteria

what is the meaning of life?

more to come...
Old 02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

smg022593 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to smg022593 Send a message via MSN to smg022593 Send a message via Yahoo to smg022593
Red face true

its true how we pose 2 know wat 2 do if we dont know wat it is but put wat kind project it is then we might be able 2 help u ok ( leave little bit more information plz )