All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 12-10-2005, 04:15 PM

SpongiformEncephalopathy is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default 9th Grade-Phototropism

Well I wanted to possibly do something with phototropism and how different colors effect it in plants. But I came across something that said red, yellow, and green light have no effect on plants. Then how do plants move towards the sun? Unless I'm colorblind, it is yellow. -.-
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Expert Contributor

boring_sister is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to boring_sister Send a message via Yahoo to boring_sister
Thumbs up

in my own understanding it moves towards the sun because of heat that the plants use to make food or photosynthesis. i think that the follow sun's rays.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Wink

Phototropism (and every other "tropism" ex. geotropism in roots) is caused by plant hormones. Check those out. A few well-known plant hormones include auxins, cytokinins, and gibberellins. Most of these are growth hormones. For example, gibberellin is the hormone that increases the stem growth, but stumps the leaf growth. Depending on which side of the plant has more hormones, it will cause an uneven growth towards the other side, and therefore, the plant bends towards light.

here's a site that has a little on each of the common plant hormones:
[url]http://www.plant-hormones.info/Index.htm[/url]

Don't worry if the scientific jargon stumps you. Keep on posting on this thread, and I'll come back to answer questions. For every science project, you have to do research, and deciphering research is just as hard as the experiment. But once you finish, everything makes sense, and it becomes a lot easier.

Also, connecting to your experiment, you want to see if there are any effects of the color of the light on plant hormones. Is there more phototropism when I use yellow light than blue light?

I wish you good luck!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

spongiformencephalon? Oh, I just love your username! Seems like you know about prions and neurodegenerative diseases! I hope your interest in science won't stop!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 PM

2nerdi4u is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Phototropism colours

hey im in year 8 and im doing an assignment on phototropism
im looking at the colours which affect the growth of plants and i heard that green reflects the light. is this true? could someone please help me with my project and pst any usefull info up.

Thx