All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2006, 03:54 PM

kelli is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Healthy Bones

How does drinking milk build strong bones?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

sciencefreak is a brilliant scientist admired by others

Milk is the number one source of calcium on a healthy diet, and according to doctors everyone should eat three servings of dairy products (milk, yogurt or cheese) per day.

Calcium is required for other body functions as well, so what your body does if your diet is not having calcium, is take it from your bones. If your body keep doing this for a prolonged period of time, then your bones will get weak and you even develop "osteoporosis".

For general information, milk is not the only source of calcium, you can find it also in bread, cereal, rice and pasta, poultry, fish and eggs, and in most fruits. If your diet is lacking milk, or another good source of calcium, you should use a dietary supplement containing it.

The Newtons and friends were taking tea
Beneath the boughs of an apple tree,
When a falling fruit landed on the
Head of the head of the family.
Mrs. Newton cried, 'Well deary me!
That could've caused an injury'.
But clever Isaac alone could see,
The situation's true gravity.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli
How does drinking milk build strong bones?
Yes, it does. The reason is this. Calcium is used for other things in the body. Its primary function isn't to build bones. However, if you have extra calcium, your body uses osteoblasts to build osteocytes(basically, cells covered with calcium) in your bone. That makes your bones and teeth strong. You have too little calcium, osteocytes would break those bones down to use in your body. So your bones would become weak and fragile.

So the next time you think you don't need strong bones, remember that there are 100 other places calcium is used in your body, so not only are you're not getting enough calcium, you're weakening your whole body.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

PS. Do you know calcium is used to make your muscles move? So you can't move without calcium. (Calcium ions are stored in the sarcoplasmic reticulum of your muscles, and is released when your muscles receives an action potential from your neurons through the neurotrasmitter acetylcholine.)
Old 04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

sciencefreak is a brilliant scientist admired by others

that's a cool fact! Keep them coming!

The Newtons and friends were taking tea
Beneath the boughs of an apple tree,
When a falling fruit landed on the
Head of the head of the family.
Mrs. Newton cried, 'Well deary me!
That could've caused an injury'.
But clever Isaac alone could see,
The situation's true gravity.