All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM

BiologyHelpNeeded is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation Need aBiology experiment fast!!

Hey everyone.

I am having a bit of trouble finding a sound biology experiment. Some of my previous ideas include measuring the amount of bacteria from pond water that are alive after salt is added....but I can't/ don't know how to measure the bacteria and they are too small to see from a microscope!!!

I was thinking about doing something with yeast and seeing what happens when I add salt but the same problem occurs, how do I measure it?

Anyways, I am trying to find an experiment in biology retaning to microbiology and studying the effects of something after something....or something like that . Maybe something with protists/fungi/yeast or something

If anyone could help me out FAST FAST FAST it would be great.

Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Mentor/Forum Moderator

RaZoR is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to RaZoR

Here's an idea:

Testing the amount of water that a type of diaper can hold (i.e. the quality of the hydrogel within the baby diaper.)

It's actually extremely easy, and retains to the idea of before&after theme.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM

BiologyHelpNeeded is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question Thanks, (will my new idea work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZoR View Post
Here's an idea:

Testing the amount of water that a type of diaper can hold (i.e. the quality of the hydrogel within the baby diaper.)

It's actually extremely easy, and retains to the idea of before&after theme.
Thanks Razor for your help. I'd need to research that one to find out more about it but I'm not sure if my bio teacher will approve.
I was thinking last night and I think I have an idea but I need some help with it.

I was thinking of testing how fungi grows in different temperatures. I would get some bread and add some water too it? and some suger? and place different pieces in different temperatures. But what bread is good for this? And how do I formulate my if, then, because statement & hypothesis

If you could help me some more it would be great.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Mentor/Forum Moderator

RaZoR is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to RaZoR

Here is my input:

To do this project you would have to test more than just one bread slice. Probably around 5-10, with different temperatures for each.

Try to get some cotton swabs and collect some dust, whipe it on each bread slice, add 2-3 drops of water (has to be same for each slice) and put in different temperatures throughout your house/apartment. Put them in a small plastic baggy.

Time each of the slices so they have the same amount of time to grow the mold... You also need a constant, a piece of bread without water or dust on it. Now wait and let it incubate for about 5-7 days.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I'm 90% sure that bread molds in moister, warmer temperatures rather than cold, moist temperatures. Mold, or fungi, can actually grow on frozen foods. Interesting, huh?

This is just my input, and you don't necessarily have to use this, but I hoped it helped.

Keep in touch. Ask any question over PM or this thread that you might have, and I'll help you out with this project.