All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Helpless Mom is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Helpless Mom

my son has ascience fair project - Which freezes more quickly plain water or water with salt in it? How much salt do we use? When we find out which freezes faster how will i know how to explain the Why?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)
Expert Contributor

pluto929 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpless Mom
my son has ascience fair project - Which freezes more quickly plain water or water with salt in it? How much salt do we use? When we find out which freezes faster how will i know how to explain the Why?
My advice to helpless mom is to test with 1 teaspoon, one with 1 tablespoon and so on and see if as the amount increases, if the freezing time decreases and to explain the why, research on what salt do to the density of water b/c density is important in this, GOOG LUCK!
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

...For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
-Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Okay, this is my advice.

First of all, try to keep your unit of measurement precise. Try not to use teaspoons to salt, but use grams if you have a balace. If you don't, use teaspoons. Keep the amount of water the same. I agree with Pluto. Add more and more salt.

I don't know who you're going to freeze water. I mean, you have to put it in a cold environment to freeze it, and you can't read a thermometer and wait for it to freeze in the freezer. Or you can read the thermometer every minute or 30 seconds or 10 minutes (depending on how much water you have) and when ice begins to form, take the temperature. Remember to use Celsius. Also, don't wait until it fully freezes before you take the temperature. Then, you can't take the thermometer out. THE FREEZING POINT, BY DEFINITION, IS WHEN A LIQUID BEGINS TO SOLIDIFY, NOT AFTER IT HAS FULLY SOLIDIFIED.

After you have all the temperatures, it'll be interesting if you have your child make a line graph. X axis will be the amount of salt, Y axis the temperature when the liquid begins to freeze. Therefore, it'll be pretty easy to see what happens to the freezing point of the liquid when there is more salt.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)
Expert Contributor

All Knowing is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to All Knowing Send a message via MSN to All Knowing Send a message via Yahoo to All Knowing
Talking Mine

Ok i dont have time to read other commenst so if i get same idea leave me alone Wel you take a small cup of water, and a samll cup of salt water. Put them in the freezer. Check every 30 min. to see which one freezes faster. My hypothesis is the salt will freeze first. Why, because salt water is more dense and it seems like it would be harder to freeze. The dead see is actually te saltiest ocean. You could lay back and the water is so dense you'll float with ease. That why its called the dead sea. Hope this helped