All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Earth Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 AM

elisha11220 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation Grade 8-Earth Science Project-Evaporation of water

the title is : Which affects evaporation the most... air temperature, water temperature, or wind speed?

here is what you need to know:
WHAT YOU NEED:
pan balance

sponges of different sizes

scissors

plastic sandwich bag

spotlight

hot water

cold water

electric fan

jar lid

WHAT TO DO:

1. Using the materials listed above, design an experiment to see how wind, temperature, and surface area affect the rate of evaporation. Make a prediction about the effect each factor will have on the evaporation rate.

2. Next, conduct the experiment using the materials provided to test your predictions. Record all your steps for carrying out the experiment.

NOTE: Every factor should be the same except the factor that you are testing. For example if you are testing the affect of wind on evaporation rates, the sponges should be the same size, and they should be exposed to the same temperatures. The only thing that should be different is the exposure to wind.

WHAT NOW:

Create a chart showing the results of your experiment. Make sure you include the results for all three factors (wind, temperature, and surface area).

i need this today .... and please hurry.... i beg of you!!!!!!!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE REPLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM VERY DESPERATE... I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Last edited by elisha11220; 12-29-2005 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: no one is replying
Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC EXPERIMENT! I'm so sorry I didn't see this ealier! But I hope it's not too late to rescue...

Okay, let's say you test water temperature. I think you already got it. Get some waters with different temperatures (remember to measure the temperature with the thermometer), pour the same amount of water unto each sponge, but water of a different temperature for a different sponge. In order to keep the other variables the same, just do all the sponges at the same time and put them in the same position. But one question is--do you know even tho the water is hot for a while, or cold for a while, it'll become the same as the room temperature?

For air movements, you can use a fan. It should not have an effect on the temperature, because the only reason why the fan makes you cooler is that it helps your sweat evaporate. But someone check me on that--whether a fan is valid or not. Or you can place the sponge in a different way so that more surface area is exposed--therefore, assuming more access of air currents.