All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grade 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Regular Contributor

Equestrian is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation Testing different soils for maximum water retention-hypothesis and experiment needed

For my honors science project, i have chosen to do "What type of soil is best for maximum water retention" My hypothesis was :The more dense a soil is, the more water it will hold. However, my teacher told me i wouldn't be able to use "dense" because i couldn't measure the density of soil. So now, i need a new hypothesis i was thinking about using the word "porosity", but now i don't know how to word it. Also, for my experiment, i was thinking of taking things like mulch, sand, clay, silt, potting soil (like the kind that comes in bags), and a rocky soil (i can get that in my yard ) I think i want to dry the "soil" out, then add a set amount of water (like 1 cup or something) Then somehow collect the excess amount of water, subtract that from 1 cup, and i can figure out how muchh the soil is holding. Is this a good, reliable, scientifically correct experiment? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 AM

Cheryl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

hi..
can u try n see whether this hypothesis is good enough..
"If the soil's particles are closer, then the soil will retain more water"
email me at [email]cheah_cheryl@yahoo.com[/email]

cheryl
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Regular Contributor

Thanks, but i am already finished with my project. My hypothesis turned out being "The heavier a soil is when dry, the more water it will hold."

Old 01-25-2006, 07:14 PM

Default thanx...

okay..thanks a lot...um, can i use urs if my hypothesis didnt turn out good??btw, i am doing the project now....so i am figuring out the hypothesis n some of the other things...(conclusion, some info.......etc)if u can, can you pls help me with the stuff??thanx a lot!!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Talking I Can Help You Out!

What is your NEW project going to be on???
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Regular Contributor

Sure!!! Are you doing the same project as me? It isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it works well! So, do you have a research question? Like mine was "What type of soil is best for maximim water retention" cause like, idk, yours could be different. I used 5 "soils" sand,peat moss, potting soil, mulch and soil i dug up from my yard (aka yard soil ) So, exactly how are you doing your project?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 PM

Wink hello

hey,
thanx to both of you(grinner & equestrian) for helping me out...my project is mainly about what kind of soil is the best in retaining water.if you can give me some information about where can i get the details on the internet(which website or wateva...)i am jus using fine sand, small stones, and coarse sand....i planned to like put them into bottles(cutted into half{left only the mouth of the bottle}) n then pour water into it to see which soil holds the water longer...n jus roughly draw it into a table....is it okay if my project goes on like dat?do you understand what am i talking about?

thanks for helping me!!it really helps a lot!!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

The reason why you can't measure the density of soil is because if you pack the soil, it'll have a larger density. Density is measured using volume and mass. If you're just saying which mass is larger in one container, that is as inaccurate as saying density.

I suggest you actually measure the MASS (also known as weight) of the soils and have all the mass equal to each other. Then look at the volume of all the soils. You can see know which ones are more COMPACT and which ones are more LOOSE.

Make your hypothesis in terms of compact and loose.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2006, 02:31 PM

Default thanx a lot...but i think i have my hypothesis...

i used "If the soil particles are closer to each other, then the soil can retain more water"...i guess it'll work....but anyway, thanks for helping out!!i really appreciate that....

if you can give me more information about that, thanx!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Regular Contributor

Ok, i'm getting what you're doing. According to your hypothesis, the fine sand should hold the most water, followed by the coarse sand and then the rocks. That's great, however i might sugggest using somethihng like potting soil to compare to the sand, since it's easy to find and works well for this type of project.