All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Regular Contributor

Living_Chemistry is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry
Thumbs up Experiment in Microbiology

Are you extremely desperate?

I have a project ready for people. It's a microbiology experiment, and is pretty advanced.

Warning:You need a lot of time to do this experiment, and I'd appreciate you using it ONLY if you need a terrible amount of help.

1. Go to: [url]http://pic4.piczo.com/go/login?cookietest=y[/url]
2. In the user name box, type in Living-Chemistry
3. In the password box, type in 12345
4. Click on the log in box
5. Now you are at the home page
6. Click on activities in the black box. (It's in blue type.)
7. Enjoy!

I made this project from the two sites listed at the bottom of the page. I would have used it for myself, but my teacher wouldn't let me because another group was doing something similar, but less advanced.

Yours truly,

Joker Jones

Last edited by Living_Chemistry; 02-04-2006 at 09:53 PM..
Old 02-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Flametrees is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default One problem

Just incase you didn't know this,
I got the message saying there was Broken HTML for the activities page and neither safe mode or normal mode allowed me to view it.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Regular Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry
Wink That's Weird!

That's weird! It worked before. Anyways, I copied it and lets hope it'll fit on here (it's pretty long.) Good luck!

SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT

Question: Will pollution affect bioluminescent bacteria?

Hypothesis: Yes, I think that pollution does affect bioluminescent bacteria, because this will disrupt the entire ecosystem.

Materials:
1. 5-10 deceased salt-water fish
2. salt water (for the fish)
3. a refrigerator (4 - 6C)
4. South Saskatchewan River water
5. Tap water
6. Liquid soap
7. Oil
8. Metal transferring loop
9. 16-26 Petri dishes
10. syringe
11. light-meter or thin translucent paper
12. tape
13. sharpie
14. syringe
15. Bunsen burner
16. Denatured alcohol
17. Lighter
18. Rubbing alcohol
19. Bleach
20. 30g NaCl
21. 1g Glycerol
22. 10g Peptone (Bacto-Peptone)
23. 3g Beef extract
24. 15g of Bacto-Agar
25. Water with a ph of about 7.3

Procedure:
1. Gather materials
2. Place fish half submerged in salt water
3. Refrigerate at 4 6C
4. Check each day for bioluminescent bacteria growth
5. Clean Petri dishes with bleach and water
6. Dry Petri dishes, allowing no air to enter
7. Mix 30g of NaCl, 1g glycerol, 10g peptone (bacto-peptone), 3g beef extract, and 15g of bacto-agar
8. Dilute the ingredients in water with a ph of about 7.3
9. Fill with water up until 1000mL
10. Separate solution (BOSS) evenly into Petri dishes
11. Sterilize working area with rubbing alcohol
12. Fill bottom of the Bunsen burner with denatured alcohol
13. Light the wick with a lighter
14. Hold the metal transferring loop in the flame until the metal turns red.
15. Cool the loop on one of your agar plates
16. Using the loop, scrape off some bacteria, and place it on a separate agar plate
17. Close the lid to your agar plate
18. Place tape across the top of your plate
19. Label this plate, with a sharpie, River water #1
20. Repeat steps 14-19, 3-5 times, depending on the amount of Petri dishes you have
21. For each time you repeat step 19, use a higher number (river water #2)
22. Repeat steps 14-21, 3-5 times, replacing the words river water with tap water
23. Repeat steps 14-21, 3-5 times, replacing the words tap water with liquid soap
24. Repeat steps 14-21, 3-5 times, replacing the words soap with oil
25. Dispose of the agar that was used to cool the metal transferring loop
26. Clean the Petri dish that contained this agar
27. Place all other agar plates in a dark room (at a constant temperature of 18C)
28. Using the light-meter, measure the luminosity of each dish
29. Record data
30. Measure 3-5 (depending on the amount of Petri dishes you have) even amounts of each pollutant with a sterile syringe
31. Squirt the pollutant onto the luminescent bacteria that is labelled the same
32. Close the lid after applying the pollutant
33. Observe results 1 hour after application, 1 day after application, 2 days after application, 3 days after application, 4 days after application, 5 days after application, 6 days after application, and 7 days after application
34. Record results
35. Clean and replace all materials

Application: You could use bioluminescent bacteria to measure the degree of water pollution.

Extension: I could extend this project by using different pollutants, varying the amounts of these pollutants, repeating this experiment more times, create a liquid culture, changing the temperature of the pollutants, changing the temperature of the bacteria, varying the amounts of the bacteria, using different bacteria, or changing the ph of the pollutants.

Research topics for background information:
BOSS
Agar
Bioluminescence
Bacteria
Pollutant
Effects of pollutants
Effects of pollutants on water
Effects of pollutants on bacteria
Marine ecology
Oil
Soap
River water
South Saskatchewan River water
Tap water
Luminous
Bacteria cultures
Microbiology

Web sites:
[url]http://www.biology.pl/bakterie_sw/index_en.html[/url]
[url]http://www.motthall.org/intro/cur/herzog/science2000/glow/lets_glow.htm[/url]

Joker Jones
Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM

CanadianScienceQueen is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile Amazing!

This project sounds amazing! I just have a few questions:
1) Did you do this science fair, if so what grade level?
2) Did your school have a problem with your project involving dead fish?
3) Where did you get the fish? Did you get them all at the same time?

Thank you.

I am very interested, it sounds unique and challenging.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Tip: I think it is known for a fact that different amounts of pollutants in rivers affect the bacteria in them. Actually, you can use this experiment to test the amount of pollution in rain or different parts of a river, or compare city vs country pollution.

By using living chemistry's idea of culturing these bacteria with river water or rain water, add a control, and it's an environmental experiment.

Someone could try it?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Regular Contributor

Talking Whammo! Answers!!! (Okay.. don't know about the whammo...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianScienceQueen
This project sounds amazing! I just have a few questions:
1) Did you do this science fair, if so what grade level?
2) Did your school have a problem with your project involving dead fish?
3) Where did you get the fish? Did you get them all at the same time?

Thank you.

I am very interested, it sounds unique and challenging.

Alright. I know I haven't been on for a while, but here are the answers to your questions!

1) No, I didn't do this project, because my classmates stole it from me. Oh well... I did REALLY good with my project. Me and my classmates are in grade 9, but the judges said that that project was way above their level, possibly a grade 11 project, due to the amount of time and energy, as well as safety concerns, related with this project.

2) My school didn't have a problem with using dead fish, solely because my classmates asked if it was okay before hand, and they weren't KILLING the fish.

3) My classmates simply went to PetLand (the local pet store) and explained that they had a science fair, and they needed to have bioluminescent bacteria grown from deceased fish. The kind workers there went into the back, pulled out a few deceased fish, and gave them to my classmates. It was as simple as that. The fish don't have to be retreived all at the same time, but, it really helps in showing that you tried to control your variables. Ideally, you would want to keep everything about the fish the same, (age, type, environment, food) but you can only control this to some extent, because you did not grow the fish yourself.
Good luck in your future fairs!!!!!

Also, excellent idea (okay... I'm sorry if I spell your user name wrong, but here it goes... ) dreamerofeternity!!!!!! That goes to show that your brilliant mind is always working! Keep up the good work!

Yours truly,

Joker Jones
Old 04-29-2006, 01:51 AM

Flametrees is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Thanks

Thanks Living-Chemistry, working on thsi project, ill post everything and the results once it's done

/hug Living Thankyou so much.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:58 PM

CanadianScienceQueen is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question

Flametrees,

I am just wondering what grade level you are at. I am kind of afraid that it maybe a little to simple because I am in the tenth grade.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianScienceQueen
Flametrees,

I am just wondering what grade level you are at. I am kind of afraid that it maybe a little to simple because I am in the tenth grade.
I don't think this project is too simple. My advice: do NOT do this project word for word. Change a step to make the experiment even better, do more trials, have different concentrations of pollutants (change the weight of the dead fish), etc. Just ask yourself, what would make this better/more accurate? Perhaps I'll use a graduated pipet instead of an imprecise graduated cylinder. What tools don't seem right? You can make this even more complicated than a 10th grade experiment, depending on the equipment you use, or how many trials you have, or perhaps the applications you add in. Like what I previously mentioned, you can test the water from different places, and use bioluminescent bacteria as a standard curve if you can measure the light (which, by using a BD, lab machine which actually measures the amount of light cells give off, you can do) to determine the amount of pollution. (Therefore, you are QUANTIFYING the amount of light, which is a plus.)