All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grade 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

I would suggest you do your experiment with flower pots with holes underneath. All you have to do is pour the water slowly into the pot that has some soil and let the excess water drain from the holes and into another container. Then all you'll have to do is measure how much water is in the container. Also, remember to pour slowly, cause it takes time for the soil to absorb the water.

Bonne chance!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Regular Contributor

Equestrian is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Oh yes, Cheryl. If you want some pictures, email me at [email]equestrian_239@yahoo.com[/email] and i can give you some pics of my experiment.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Cheryl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Talking thanx a thousand times!ur suggestion was wonderfull

thanx,
it could help a lot!!!okay, i will email u....if you hv some more information about this topic jus let me know...i'll be gratefull if u can help me with all these problems...

Cheryl
Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

I would suggest you look at the different potting soils. What is the difference between good and bad potting soil? You know, a good "so what" for your experiment is potting soil and agriculture soil. What I mean by a so what is "why is your experiment important?" "what does your experiment contribute," or basically, "so what if sand is worse/better at holding water than regular soil?" You could then tell them about the agriculture and need to have good soil, as well as the potting soil industry. If you can, research into the so what. Look at the ways the agricultural industry maintain good soil. What kind of soil is good for agriculture?

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Regular Contributor

Yes, i sent you the pics. I'd suggest to use pots with holes in the bottoms, and then use plastic containers to catch the water that comes out, since that worked well for me and that's how my science teacher told me to do it. Pour the water slowly, like dreamerofeternity mentioned. Get a set amount of soil and water (i did 4 cups of soil and 2 cups of water for each) So they're all the same, let them be for an hour or longer, take the water expelled and subtract from the original amount of water to find out how much water is held.....but you probably already know that lol.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Exclamation brilliant idea!!

oh my gosh!that idea is so great!!!thanx a lot equestrian n dreamerofeternity...this one really did help a lot....i'll try that out...thanx for that!!!i really appreciate that...
Old 03-04-2006, 03:32 AM

harriet169 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question

wow! thats a good idea. i am in yr 8 doing a home project investigation and i have been searching for an idea for ages, the only problem is, how exactly do you test it? please answer my question because i need to choose my idea immediately!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Regular Contributor

Default How to do this.....

Basically, this is what i did. I got sand, mulch, peat moss, potting soil, just dug up some soil from my yard.. Dry out soil on cookie sheets in oven until there is no more moisture left in the soil. I got these plastic pot thingies with holes in the bottom, and cut some pieces of screen to fit in the bottom of the pots. I put 4 cups of soil in each pot, weighed them, and then used popsicle sticks to keep them over little ziplock/glade/rubbermaid plastic containers. I poured 2 cups of water into each one, slowly. I let the water drip through for about 1 1/2 hours. After that, i took the water that had dripped out and measured it, then subtracted it from the original 2 cups and came up with how much water was held in the soil. I weighed the soil again(as with my project, i compared weight change to water retention). I conducted the experiment a second time, but the resulults were basically the same.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet169
wow! thats a good idea. i am in yr 8 doing a home project investigation and i have been searching for an idea for ages, the only problem is, how exactly do you test it? please answer my question because i need to choose my idea immediately!!!!!!!!!
okay, i just like measure the soil's weigh to make it constant like maybe 1 pound....and then i jus pour a amount of water into the soil and measure the time for the water to drain out.....i just finish my project, so i know it.....you need to hv at least 3 types of soil....you can get it frm your yard....
Old 05-05-2006, 03:57 AM

sweetiepie is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Drying the soil

Equestrian...and anyone else who can help... How long did you bake the soil to dry it out and at what temperature? Is that the best way to do it?