All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Physics (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Mentor

Ravencraft is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Electromagnet

As a problem for my science fair, I had; What affects the strength of an electromagnet? I made a wrapped a 20 gauge insulated wire around an iron tube to and used a 6V battery. I tested, the number of wraps and the diameter of the coil. My results were: "The higher the amount of wraps the greater the magnetic field and the larger the diameter the smaller the magnetic field." Can anyone explain to me why this is so? I understand that electrons move from the negative side to the positive side, creating electricity, but why does that diameter of the coil have an affect on that. My guess for my first result is: since there are fewer wraps, there is a smaller magnetic field around the iron pipe, giving it an inferior magnetic field as compared to one with greater wraps. Can someone explain this to me in a scientific way, but not to complicated, as I have not yet taken as physics class, what I know is from what I read about physics.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

lets see if our other mentors know the answer
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Before, I thought the number of coils increased b/c there was more contact between the coil (called the solenoid) and the iron tube. But I decided to read up on it, and here's what I got. (Physics is not my forte. )

It actually has everything to do with the magnetism. For each coil, another magnetic field is generated, and the number of coils is directly porportional to the strength of the field. Here is the most helpful site I found. Look at the diagram [[url]http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/electromagnetism.htm][/url]

As for the diameter, can you specify what diameters you used? Cause I guess (not sure) that it is because with each increasing diameter, the distance increases between the coil and the iron core, so that the strength decreased. Cause the strength of the mangetic fields is proportional to the distance squared, which is a lot. So when you change a 1mm diameter to a 2 mm diameter, hypothetically, the magnetic field would increase fourfold instead of two (four is two squared). (Once again, this is my guess. You should check to make sure I'm right. This info is also from the same site I posted before)

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:30 AM

kool_aid is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

[flash=http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4936/allthehacks9gk.swf]Width=700 Height=700[/flash]
Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Mentor

Ravencraft is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Hm. I suppose I will resurrect this thread a bit instead of starting a new one.

Now, an equation to find the force of a magnetic field and electric field are as follows, repectively:

F = qv x B

where F is the force;
q is the value of the test charge;
v is the velocity of the charge;
B is the vector magnetic field
And x is as follows: "The "x" indicates a vector cross-product, which in this case means a magnetic force will only arise if the velocity of the charge is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The mathematical cross product determines the direction of the magnetic force."

and

F = qE

where F is the force;
q is the value of the test charge;
E is the vector electric field.

Now, can anyone help me to solve these. In fact, is it even possible to solve these without having proper equipment? Also, is anyone familiar with tesla equations? As in finding the tesla value of an electromagnetic field?

I suppose anything else anyone may now has the potential to be helpful; follow your whims, as long as those whims pertain to electromagnetic fields.