All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Highlights > Share your science project ideas!
User Name
Password

Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Unregistered

Default Effect of diet on Learning/memory

I'm a 7th grade student here in the Philippines. My groupmates and I thought of feeding one group of mice with pure carbohydrates for a month and another group with high protein food. We will then determine how much time they will finish a maze. Do you think this will be a good science project? If yes, can you give us references?
Thank you,
RAM
Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Excellent idea for a science fair project!

That's a pretty neat idea! So what's your hypothesis going to be?

"Protein fed mice are more intelligent that carbohydrate fed mice?" (or vice versa?)

What are the controls that you will using?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:01 AM

ram is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

In our research, we found out that protein is formed when we memorize so our theory is protein would be needed in the diet to be able to memorize/learn well.Do you think a month of different diet would make a difference? Or should it be longer? It will be submitted next year, we still have time.we are 8 in our group.Four of us will take care and feed our animal with junk food (chips etc) while the other four will feed theirs with meat, pork, beef etc.then we will determine how much time for them to reach goal in a maze. What do you think, thanks!
RAM
Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Default 3 to 6 months of experimenting

I would go with much more than a month. The time required for the relevant brain cells to degenerate would probably be more than a month. In any case, more data/statistics can't hurt!

Please be sure not to flout any science fair rules when you're dealing with animal subjects - usually you'll have to limit yourself to invertebrates.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Mentor (Team D)

ScienceIsCool is truly a scientist!

Since you guys have a lot of time (next year you say), why not run the experiment over many months instead of 1?

A lot of scientists have done experiments for years and years before finding out awesome findings. I think that if you guys were to run the experiment for a year versus a month, it would be much more convincing data to the judges.

All the best in your experiment!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:27 AM

ram is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

There is a reason why we chose to shorten the first stage of the experiment. We were planning to have a second stage. The second stage consists of giving half of the "Learned mice" group compounds (example: gingko biloba) which supposedly enhance memory and the other half compounds which can decrease memory (example antibiotics like rifampicin).
I asked my mom regarding use of mice and she said this animal is regularly being used in food and drug research.
What do you think of the second stage?
RAM
Old 09-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Default Brain food?

The second stage data will help prove/disprove your hypothesis. It should be pretty interesting.