All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Question Hello Mentors Measure Chalories Hello

I have a question for all the mentors! How do you measure chalories in foods such as cheese and meat products?????
Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Calorimeter. Arg, second time explaining it today...

Okay, there is this equation that measures the changes in heat. Q=mc(delta T). So let's say you want to see how much calories are in a mound of cheese. So you burn the cheese and let the fire heat up a can with 10 grams of water. And in the can, the thermometer measures the temperature of the water. And after the cheese is burned up, the water increased by 2 degrees. So basically, you already have m, which is 10 grams of water. delta T is the change in temperature, which is 2 degrees. The specific heat of water, c, is one. So therefore, one times two times 10 is 20. 20 calories of water.

One more thing...a calorie is the amount of energy needed to raise one gram of water one degree. so in the equation, m always has to be in GRAMS, and T always has to be in CELCIUS, OR YOU WOULD NOT GET ACCURATE RESULTS!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Or

you could just look at the wrappers and nuitrition facts. they tell you how many calories there are in the product.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

About nutrient tables, it isn't just reading the labels, because it depends on what is their definition of a serving. If you're eating pringles, they would write something like 6 cripses, 60 Calories. And exactly how much is 6 cripses? Well, then, you'll have to take out a balance, and then divide the mass by the calories to find out how many calories are in each gram. My point is, nutrient labels cannot substitute a calorimeter project. For example, what if you want to know how many calories are in half a cashew? And the nutrient label says half a cup of cashews have 100 Calories?

It'll require a lot of math, but it's doable. Also, if anyone plans to do it w/nutrient labels and a balance, I suggest one more thing...

1000 calorie= 1 Calorie. And the nutrient labels are in Calories. Calorie and calorie are two different units of measurements. The Calorie is also called the Kilocalorie, and is symbolized with Kc. So 1Kc is equal to 1000 c. So to convert your kilocalorie on the food label to calorie, multiply by 1000.

Hopefully I'm clear enough...