All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Sciencefairhelp is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation I need you´r help

Help PLZ

I need to show at least 3 topics of what ll do for the science fair, anyone got some nice ideas. Mmm i forgot to tell you i need to answer the question:

What are some problems we have? and from that I should take the 3 topics: rolleyes:
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Cool

First of all what is your grade and age and could you refraze your question more clearly

\ I will be happy to help
Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Well, problems? There are environmental problems, such as global warming. Other problems include diseases (cancer, neurodegenerative disease, heart disease, etc). Start with something you're interested in.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 PM

Talking MMM im at 7th grade

got any ideas ???
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Well, what are you interested in? How about you choose a topic you're interested in, and start researching? experiment should come after research...

I would suggest you try a food experiment, because food experiments are easy to relate to a problem. Just some ideas...1)Measuring the calories in different types of food using a calorimeter 2)what is the best insulator 3)what is the best source of fuel (fuel problems) 4)Preservation of foods 5)Effect of temperature/acidity/chemicals on mutations. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM

Post I thing i can do it of cloning plants.....

Some of you got any ideas at cloning plants???
Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Post Mmmmmm.....

For example on whats plants I can do it, at what age.

I think I can talk about the contamination and how to solve it or something like that but at the moment ill like to do it about cloning plants, got any ideas...???
Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 PM

Nice idea about measuring the calories at the food can you tell me from where to get a calorimeter?? Maybe It will be better.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you faster...

As for cloning plants, I suggest you keep away from such ambitious projects, because students usually don't have access to the equipement.

As for calorimeter... look it up. Do you know what is a calorimeter? It is anything that can hold water. Now, that sounds a bit simple. But let me tell you what I mean. But first, what is a calorie? It is the amount of energy to raise one gram of water one degree CELSIUS!

Let's say you want to test how much calories are in 10 grams of buttered cookies. So you measure 10 grams of cookie (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A BALACE), then there's the fun part. You burn up the cookie. The energy of the cookie will go into the fire. The fire is used to heat the water. (Therefore, I suggest you take a metal can, like a coffe can. So underneath the coffee can, light up the fire in some type of stand.) So while the food is burning up, use a thermometer to check the rise of the temperature in the water.

There are a few things you need to keep as variables.

1) The amount of food. You can't burn 10 grams of cookie then 20 grams of cheeze doodles and expect your experiment to be valid.

2) How much water you have in your can. Cause the temperature change in 10 grams of water will be different from the temperature change in 100 grams of water. So stick with a small amount of water, cause then, you'll see better changes in the thermometer.

And when you understand everything I've written above, research this formula: Q=(m)(c)(delta T) Q, the energy, is equal to c, the specific heat, times the mass, times the change in temperature. Okay, so your 10 grams of water increased from 22 degrees celsius to 27 degrees celsius. So that is a change of 5 degrees, which is delta T. The specific heat of water is always one, and the mass of water is 10 grams. So the amount of heat you'd have in calories is 10 times 5, which is 50.

Got it? If anyway confusing, send private message to me. (It makes sure I'll get your questions.) I suggest you to go to google.com and look for this equation. The sources can probably explain this better than I can. Or ask your teacher for clarification. Also, try to find a picture of a calorimeter online. All you should see is a can...There are more complex calorimeters, but that is not for you.

As for deciding the food, try limiting it to various types. Such as some fatty foods, some protenacous foods, some sugary foods...etc. Or you can try sticking to one category of food. Such as nuts, different types of meat (meat you can burn), different candy bars (yummy), and anything you'd like to choose.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:41 PM

Exclamation ???

whats a balace!!??