All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 12-11-2005, 11:29 AM

brownchick13 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Science Fair Project

i need help before i fail please. thanks if you help!

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 12-22-2005 at 06:10 AM..
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team B)

satfire311 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to satfire311
Default Cool

What grade are you in and what area would you want do experiment in? (biology, chemistry, etc.)

The Harder the Conflict... The Sweeter the Victory
Believe, and things will happen

Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Regular Contributor

vballgurl is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Lightbulb chemistry or botany

ok i love science but i hate science fair projects i need a middle school around 7-8th grade lvl project idea and i need it quick do u have any that are ez enough to do over christmas break and are due in feburary that doesn't apply to much work i mean some but not hours and hours a day? plz help
Old 12-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Mentor (Team D)

T_BOC is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to T_BOC Send a message via Yahoo to T_BOC
Smile here you go

For vball girl

PURPOSE

The purpose of this experiment was to determine if controlled atmosphere apple storage would affect the amount of malic acid and starch levels in apples.
I became interested in this idea when one day I bit into an apple and it was crisp, mild, smooth and tart, while a week later the same batch was grainy and had a not-so-good taste.
The information gained from this experiment may be useful for consumers and people in the apple industries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HYPOTHESIS
My 1st hypothesis was that the malic acid content would decrease as the storage temperature increased.
I based my 1st hypothesis on the fact that apples ripen faster in warmer temperatures and malic acid content decreases after ripening.

My 2nd hypothesis was that the starch content would decrease as the storage temperature increased.
I based my 2nd hypothesis on a quote from a fruit storage article that said controlled temperature storage “slowed the ripening process.”

My 3rd hypothesis was that the longer the apples were stored the greater the malic acid content.
I based my 3rd hypothesis on the quote “The malic acid is pure in the apple just before it is ripe, but is less afterwards.”

My 4th hypothesis was that the longer the apples were stored the greater the affect on the starch content.
I based my 4th hypothesis on storage articles about temperature and its affect on ripening and sugar/starch content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXPERIMENT DESIGN
The constants in this study were:
§ Number of apples juiced
§ Amount of juice used for each test
§ Amount of water used for each test
§ Temperature of the 4º C room
§ Temperature of the 21º C room
§ Temperature of the 32º C room
§ Type of apple and harvest week
§ Number of apples used for starch test
§ Type of automatic titrater

The manipulated variables were the temperature the apples were stored at and the amount of time they were stored.
The responding variable was the amount of malic acid and starch in apples.
To measure the responding variable I used a titrater to measure the amount of malic acid and an iodine solution to measure the starch.

MATERIALS

QUANTITY ITEM DESCRIPTION

36 Red delicious apples
3 30x46x13cm cardboard box
1 clean paring knife
1 15x46x5cm cardboard box
1 5ml. Pipetteman pipette
13 sml.pipette tips
1 250mL. Beaker
3 400mL. pipette
1 Omega Fruit & Vegetable Juicer
100mL. Iodine spray (0.5% I2)
1 0.4732 Spray bottle
1 clean plastic cutting board
1 Schotts automatic titrater
1 stir bar
1 safety glasses
1 fume hood
1 100mL. Graduated cylinder
1300mL. Distilled water
1 4º C storage room
1 21º C storage room
1 32º C storage room
1 Adult supervisor

PROCEDURES

Time Zero
1. Set 3 apples aside for later use.
2. Put 12 apples in each of 3 smaller boxes.
3. Label one A, one B, and one C.
4. Put box A in 4º C storage room.
5. Put box B in the 21º C storage room.
6. Put box C in the 32º C storage room.
7. Cut the three apples you set aside in half horizontally.
8. Put the bottom half in the shallow cardboard box and place under fume hood. Label box in thirds A, B, and C.
9. Spray the tops of the bottom half with iodine solution.
10. Cut the top half in 1/8’s.
11. Put a beaker under spout of the juicer and push two pieces of apple into juicer.
12. Discard juice made from the pieces and put the beaker labeled A under the spout.
13. Push one piece of apple into the juicer at a time until all pieces are juiced. Empty contents inside juicer (pulp) into garbage can.
14. Take juice and using the pipette, put 10 mL of juice into a beaker and add 100 mL of distilled water.
15. Put stir bar in and put under electrode of the titrator. Insert sodium hydroxide ejector; turn the titrator and the stir bar on according to the supervisor.
16. Record malic acid and starch levels.
17. Clean juicer and supplies.
Procedures
1. Collect three apples from each room in buckets labeled A, B, and C.
2. Cut all the apples in the A bucket in half horizontally on the plastic cutting boards.
3. Put the bottom half in the shallow cardboard box and place under fume hood.
4. Spray the tops of the bottom half with iodine solution.
5. Cut the top half in 1/8’s.
6. Put a beaker under spout of the juicer and push two pieces of apple into juicer.
7. Discard juice made from the pieces and put the beaker labeled A under the spout.
8. Push one piece of apple into the juicer at a time until all pieces are juiced. Empty contents inside juicer (pulp) into garbage can.
9. Set aside for later use.
10. Repeat steps 2-10 for apple buckets B and C.
11. Take juice and using the pipette, put 10 mL of juice into a beaker and add 100 mL of distilled water.
12. Put stir bar in and put under electrode of the titrator. Insert sodium hydroxide ejector; turn the titrator and the stir bar on according to the supervisor.
13. Record malic acid and starch levels.
14. Clean juicer and supplies.

RESULTS
The original purpose of this experiment was to determine if controlled atmosphere apple storage affects the amount of malic acid and starch in apples.

The results of the experiment were that the malic acid content decreased as the storage temperature increased and that the starch content decreased as the storage temperature increased. The malic acid and starch content both decreased over time in storage.

See my table and graph.

CONCLUSION

My 1st hypothesis was that the malic acid content would decrease as the storage
temperature increased.

My 2nd hypothesis was that the starch content would decrease as the storage temperature increased.

My 3rd hypothesis was that the longer the apples were stored the greater the affect on the malic acid content.

My 4th hypothesis was that the longer the apples were stored the greater the affect on the starch content.

The results indicate that all hypothesizes should be accepted.
Because of the results of this experiment, I wonder if the apple the apple dehydrates in warmer climate and makes a higher concentration of sugar and malic acid.
If I were to conduct this project again I would have had more apples to test. I also would have more frequent tests like every two days instead of once a week, also I would have replicated my entire experiment.
In the begining God made heaven and the earth.And the earth was without form,and void;and the darkness was upon the face of the deep.And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.And God said,"let there be light":and there was light .And God saw the light was good :and God divided the light from darkness.And God called the light day and the darkness night.And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis chapter 1 verses 1-5
T_BOC

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 12-22-2005 at 06:10 AM..
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Mentor (Team A)

rachaelroxursox2 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to rachaelroxursox2

T_Boc you were supposed to help her not give her the whole thing.
ooo ooo

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, FUNNY MONKEY
Old 12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Mentor (Team A)

rachaelroxursox2 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to rachaelroxursox2

brownchick-what are you interested in? A fun project is making a solar oven, depending on where you live this could be hard. you could also make biodisel. if you are interested private message me
ooo ooo

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, FUNNY MONKEY
Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Excellent Contributions for your science project

Well done, T_BOC, and everyone else.

You've been a great help! Althought it's not necessary in every case, to give the entire science project (Rachaelrox, thanks for pointing that out), nevertheless I'm sure that vballgirl will find this project useful.

Once again, I'm very encouraged by the tremendous initiative you've displayed T_BOC!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader FLP/Team C Mentor)

BroadwayBaby is truly a scientist!
Talking

T_boc, Great Project!!!!!!!:d :d :d

You’ve been portrayed a thousand different ways
But my heart can see you better than my eyes
‘Cause it’s love that paints the portrait of your life

The face of love
The face of love
You look more like love everyday

Let us see...
Let us be you face.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team C)

science ace #1 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to science ace #1
Arrow

this is my second tyme posting this project.
but anywayz check it out if ur intetested!!

This experiment was conducted to see which common fruit has the most Vitamin C. You’ll be surprised since most people have a lot of misconceptions about this question.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- MY HYPOTHESIS: Nutritional analysis of the vitamin content of common fruits conclude that some fruits have much higher Vitamin C content than others. Most people seem to think that oranges have the highest Vitamin C. However I think that kiwis and papayas have the most Vitamin C based on research. Kiwis are supposed to contain the most Vitamin C while papayas are also supposed to contain the most of this important nutrient. Did you know that kiwis are twice as rich in Vitamin C than oranges? Or at least, that is what scientists and nutritionists have concluded. I will conduct an experiment to see if these facts are true and which common fruit really does have the most Vitamin C.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Vitamin C detective: In order to figure out the relative content of Vitamin C in fruits, I discovered an indicator solution that can easily be made from common household ingredients. The indicator solution binds to the Vitamin C. The more Vitamin C there is in a substance, the clearer the color. And presto! You now have an easy way to compare the Vitamin C levels of common fruits.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- MATERIALS:
Cornstarch
2% iodine solution
Tap water
Measuring spoons
An eyedropper
Test tubes
A papaya, a kiwi, an orange, a grapefruit, a lemon and a pineapple
A bottle of grapefruit, lemon and orange juice from concentrate
A blender to obtain the juice from the fruits
A stove (make sure to ask an adult for help)
Pots
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

METHOD:
Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into enough water to make a paste.
To this paste, add at exactly 250 milliliters of water and boil for five minutes. Allow to cool.
Add 10 drops of the starch solution to 75 milliliters of water by using your eyedropper.
Add enough iodine to produce a dark purple-blue color. Now your indicator solution is ready.
Put 5 milliliters of indicator solution (roughly 1 teaspoon) in a 15-milliliter test tube (one for each sample).
To the test tube, use a clean eyedropper to add 10 drops of juice from your fresh fruits. For solids, pulp them in a blender and strain the juice well. Wash and clean the eyedropper for each sample. Shake well.
Place all of your test tubes against a white background.
Line up the tubes from lightest to darkest purple. The lighter the solution, the higher the level of Vitamin C content. That’s because Vitamin causes the purple indicator solution to lose its color.

OBSERVATIONS:
I observed that when I combined the iodine with the cornstarch solution, the iodine swirled around the cornstarch solution. As well, there were tiny bubbly balls that had been created by the iodine.
Over the course of a few hours, I saw that the substances with the fruit juices became extremely clear and pale blue.
I remarked that when I put the juice from the fruits in a test tube, along with the indicator substance, the reaction between the chemicals was immediate.
After one day, I observed that the cornstarch solution, on it’s own, became very thick, heavy and pasty as a result of making it the previous day. Therefore, I would suggest if anyone would like to replicate this experiment not make your cornstarch solution the day before you do the experiment; make it fresh while you are doing it.
Finally, I looked deeply into the test tube with the juice from the grapefruit and there were small splotches in the indicator substance. Why? Because I did not shake the indicator substance thoroughly with the juice from the grapefruit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE RESULTS:
Juice from papayas has the most vitamin C! In the test tube, the color of the substance was orange, a bit like the inside of the papaya, and clear.
In second place, there is the kiwi juice. The color of the substance was green, exactly the same as the middle of a kiwi, and clear.
After the kiwi, there’s the orange juice. Most people believe that the orange has the most Vitamin C compared to other fruits. I’ve demonstrated through this experiment that oranges do not deserve the credit for being the fruit with the highest vitamin C content. In the test tube, the color of the substance was blue and clear.
In fourth place, there’s the grapefruit. With this fruit, the color in the test tube was blue, clear and dark, all at the same time. It’s a little difficult to visualize.
Right behind the grapefruit, there is the lemon. In the test tube, the color of the substance was simple, plain old blue.
Last, but certainly not least, we have the pineapple! With this fruit, the color in the test tube was a dark purple-blue.

CONCLUSION:
In conclusion, my hypothesis was half correct, as I had anticipated that both kiwi and papaya would be similarly high in Vitamin C content. However, the fruit with the most Vitamin C was the papaya! So, if you want to stay healthy and strong, eat fresh papayas, as they are full of Vitamin C!

FRUITS RANKING
Papaya
1st
Kiwi 2nd
Orange 3rd
Grapefruit 4th
Lemon 5th
Pineapple 6th

REMEMBER TO PUT IT IN UR OWN WORDS!!!!!

hope it helps!!
luv 2 help!

i realize my love for you was strong (L)

Last edited by science ace #1; 01-03-2006 at 07:43 AM..