All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM

ashmik is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question Gas Matters

I need help..ASAP...My project is the processing of fresh, frozen and canned vegetables and to see if and how much gas they produce. I'm using corn, carrots, and greenbeans. My process is to take 45 ml of vegetable with 15 ml of vinegar in 50 ml test tubes with balloons on top to measure the gas produced. The results have been minimal to nothing. I was wondering if I need to adjust the amount of vegetable or vinegar to produce better results. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative. My progect is due soon. Thanks....
Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Mentor

Caboose38924 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation Science Fair Project

Hi!
For the science fair project. I just did this one!
For this project to measure the gasses from processed foods, vinegar will not do you any good since very few types of bacteria want to feed on the vinegar, therefore causing the processed vegetables lessen the gasses that emmit from the vegetables. Instead to produce more gasses use sugar. Many types of bacteria like to feed on sugar, and therefore will increase the production of gasses that will emmit from the vegetables. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, or just try to use these links. This project can be found on this website, and on a third party website.(listed below)

[url]http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/project483_39.html[/url]

[url]http://scssi.scetv.org/mims/schools/blhs/science/y98/lw1.htm[/url]
Old 02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

May I ask a question?

I wonder why are you adding nutrients into the test tubes/the foods. If you're trying to test how much gas is produced by decomposition of the foods, when are you adding MORE FOOD (sugar/vinegar)? Also, why would there be release of gas in food composition anyways? Do you mean carbon dioxide from aerobic respiration? In aerobic respiration, oxygen is taken in for carbon dioxide released, so there shouldn't be much difference. In anaerobic respiration/fermention, there won't be any intake of oxygen and still be release of carbon dioxide. But how do you guarantee fermentation unless you add fermenting bacteria? (Fermenting organisms include yeast, lactic acid bacteria, etc.)

Second, if you have access to a pressure sensor, use that. Ballons are too inaccurate. A pressure sensor links with a computer or scientific calculator, and it detects pressure. If you plug the sensor into the test tube, the gas will build up pressure in the test tube so you'll know if the gas increases or decreases by recording the pressure.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:07 PM

duxbak is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Cool Questions about gas!

I am thinking of trying this experiment for science fair this year. Will there be
enough carbon dioxide produced to inflate the balloons, and to see a visible
difference between fresh, canned and frozen vegatables? Will I need to add
anything to the veggies or not? If anyone else has tried this, let me Know.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

send a private message to Caboose. He seems to have already done it.