All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Physics (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-16-2006, 10:44 AM

lyokocode is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile I Need More Info on: Do different colors absorb heat differently?

On the Science Fair Project;Do different colors absorb heat differently?; does not have enough information me & my teacher needs. Please help as soon as you can. Thank You!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Post Project 1

When is your project due????
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

DEFINITELY! THIS IS A GOOD PROJECT! AND DO NOT, DO NOT, GIVE UP THIS PROJECT!!!

Okay, do you know why something is that color? It is because it absorbs every color EXCEPT that color. Your shirt is blue because it absorbs every color but blue. Get that straight. Black is the absorption of ALL colors. White is REFLECTING every color away, so the absorption of NO color.

And do you know what I mean by absorption/reflection of the color? Do you know light is in form of waves? Waves, then leads to frequencies. The light waves with more frequencies have more energy. The light waves with less frenquencies have less energy. Red has the lowest frequency. Violet has the most frequency. The visible spectrum is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, and Violet, and the frequencies increase as you go from red to violet.

So let's say I have a red shirt--I'll be warmer in the red shirt than in the violet shirt because the red shirt is absorbing a little orange, yellow...violet. While a violet shirt would be absorbing red to blue and a little purple. It misses violet, a light wave with high frequency and energy. Energy=heat. So I'll be warmed in the red shirt.

What I suggest for you is take a bunch of different colors of cloths...white, black, red, green, blue, purple, and leave them in the strong sun. After a while (an hour is my suggestion. And I mean STRONG SUN. Or use a STRONG lamp), wrap the cloth inside the thermometer and read the thermometer. Make sure your thermometer is no longer increasing when you take the temperature.

Good luck!

and I insist that you keep on with this project. Do research, because it'll probably be a confusing concept (the light waves, color and all), but I believe in you, and research can help you understand it.

Post any more questions/concerns/comments!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 PM

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

PS: code lyoko rocks! (at least compared to the other horrible cartoons)
Old 07-11-2006, 05:25 PM

P.M is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
DEFINITELY! THIS IS A GOOD PROJECT! AND DO NOT, DO NOT, GIVE UP THIS PROJECT!!!

Okay, do you know why something is that color? It is because it absorbs every color EXCEPT that color. Your shirt is blue because it absorbs every color but blue. Get that straight. Black is the absorption of ALL colors. White is REFLECTING every color away, so the absorption of NO color.

And do you know what I mean by absorption/reflection of the color? Do you know light is in form of waves? Waves, then leads to frequencies. The light waves with more frequencies have more energy. The light waves with less frenquencies have less energy. Red has the lowest frequency. Violet has the most frequency. The visible spectrum is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, and Violet, and the frequencies increase as you go from red to violet.

So let's say I have a red shirt--I'll be warmer in the red shirt than in the violet shirt because the red shirt is absorbing a little orange, yellow...violet. While a violet shirt would be absorbing red to blue and a little purple. It misses violet, a light wave with high frequency and energy. Energy=heat. So I'll be warmed in the red shirt.

What I suggest for you is take a bunch of different colors of cloths...white, black, red, green, blue, purple, and leave them in the strong sun. After a while (an hour is my suggestion. And I mean STRONG SUN. Or use a STRONG lamp), wrap the cloth inside the thermometer and read the thermometer. Make sure your thermometer is no longer increasing when you take the temperature.

Good luck!

and I insist that you keep on with this project. Do research, because it'll probably be a confusing concept (the light waves, color and all), but I believe in you, and research can help you understand it.

Post any more questions/concerns/comments!

hi.i would like to know what kind of questions should i put on my results table and what should be written down in the log book for my science fair project as i did not do a science fair project before?My invesigation is on:do different colors absorb heat differently?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.M
hi.i would like to know what kind of questions should i put on my results table and what should be written down in the log book for my science fair project as i did not do a science fair project before?My invesigation is on:do different colors absorb heat differently?
it depends on how you're doing your experiment. did you come up with your procedure? you have you problem, you'll need a hypothesis, and you need your procedures before I can tell you what to record. but you definitely need to take down the temperature of whatever you're testing with different colors. Do you understand?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:43 AM

lovekrish is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Thumbs up hey

love krish here
well ur project is cool
and for more info i think u should visit some sites-
[url]www.all-science-fair-projects.com[/url]
thats the best
well will u b my friend?
im new in here
so my user is lovekrish
i am krishna
and i am n indian
i love us n hate india as anythin
good luck for ur project
Old 07-24-2006, 03:43 AM

povatix is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Colour Absorbtion of Heat

Hi, im doing a Student Research Project (compulsory Science Project for high school students). I've chosen to do this one. Im in yr 9 and need ideas to make my project acceptable for my year level. I have 5 wks to do the whole experiment, so i need ideas to extend the project. I have decided to do the "water in cup/ wrapped in different colour papers/ measure temp.", "the icecube in different coloured boxes in the sun", your one " cloth colour in sun" i shall repeat them throught out the 5wks around 3times each. I need a more thorough explanation for the heat waves and reflective/absorbtion i.e y certain colours' frequencies. I dont need a huuuuge explanation, just enough to gimme a rough idea.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 AM

lovekrish is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Thumbs up cool news

hey
have u tried goin on u noe
try some typs of names on the google.com
if u are lucky u will get the perfect thing u want
u can type there the thing u said
do colors absorb bla....bla....bla.....bla.....
whatever it is
just type it down and u will get 10 pages on it
and u can go to india.com
u wont get many interesting things bt their science is cool
reply that do u wanna b my friend
i am new in this country- us
Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by povatix
Hi, im doing a Student Research Project (compulsory Science Project for high school students). I've chosen to do this one. Im in yr 9 and need ideas to make my project acceptable for my year level. I have 5 wks to do the whole experiment, so i need ideas to extend the project. I have decided to do the "water in cup/ wrapped in different colour papers/ measure temp.", "the icecube in different coloured boxes in the sun", your one " cloth colour in sun" i shall repeat them throught out the 5wks around 3times each. I need a more thorough explanation for the heat waves and reflective/absorbtion i.e y certain colours' frequencies. I dont need a huuuuge explanation, just enough to gimme a rough idea.

Thank you.

Okay, color abosorbancy has something to do with wavelengths, you know. To be more specific, red has the longest wavelength, purple the shortest wavelength. (Do you know the visible light spectrum? ROYGBIV-red orange yellow, etc) It's in that order, from red to violet.

Now, red has the longest wavelength, so it has the highest frequency. (Imagine a limited amount of space, let's say one foot. If it takes one foot to have one wave, so its wavelength is one foot, then there's only one wave in a foot. If there's a shorter wavelength, like half a foot, you have two waves. So wavelength and frequency has an indirect relationship--as one goes up, the other goes down.)

Frequency is also the measure of energy. More waves=more energy. By this, you know that infrared has less frequency than red and ultraviolet has more frequency/energy than violet. Then there are gamma rays and xrays and microwaves. But since they're not visible, you can't see them, and therefore no color.

So more energy=more heat/temperture.

If you want to go deeper, such as for your colored boxes, you might want to look at behaviors of light waves through different mediums, such as reflection and refraction. I'm not sure what's the direct correlation, because I'm not very familiar with this part. but perhaps it'll shed some light.