All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Earth Science (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2006, 04:44 PM

kritxbevo is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question Melting ice cubes!

PLEASE HELP! My son's topic is "Do different shapes (&/or sizes) of ice cubes melt faster than others?" My son needs some reference material (i.e. websites, book titles, ideas, etc.) on a science project (subject was picked for him by teacher). We have found very little to aid in our search to gather info. and material to perform this experiment. Has anyone done this experiment before? Thanks so much! God bless!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:00 PM

power kitten is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Exclamation

well... no i haven't done this beffore but obviously different shapes ,sizes of ice cubes melt faster than others..... you should pick one though... i recomend different sizes because it will be easyer.....
the big ones melt slower than the small ones...
~~~~~tryed to help... sorry if i didn't
good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

It has something to do with the surface area to volume/mass ratio. (mass is directly porportional to volume) How much surface area is exposed to the surroundings determine how quickly it melts. But it's the ratio of the surface area to the volume, because the volume is how much ice you need to melt. The more surface area per volume, the quicker it'll melt. Let's say you have a cube with a surface area of 12 cm2, with a volume of 2 cm3, then the ratio is 3. If a second cube has surface area of 15cm2, and it has a volume of 3cm3, it has a ratio of 5. Therefore, the second cube will have a bigger number, and therefore, it will melt quicker.