All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Earth Science (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)
Expert Contributor

All Knowing is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to All Knowing Send a message via MSN to All Knowing Send a message via Yahoo to All Knowing
Default What are some ideas you have on how life started?

What are some ideas you think that life started?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:16 AM

dhom is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

I did my master's thesis on this topic and focused largely on articles from the journal Origins of Life and the Evolution of the Biosphere. Basically, there are dozens of competing theories out there, most of which are incompatible with each other. I think the assumption of philosophical naturalism is the problem.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

INteresting you would mention that...

There is one theory of how life started with RNA, cause DNA cannot replicate without RNA. Also, RNA is commonly used as cofactors, which could be an implication of the remnants of its use hundred of billions of years ago.

Then it was slowly enclosed by a membrane. I recently visited the Intel Science Fair in Washington DC. A student proved that the membrane and RNA theories could coexist. Do you have access to the Intel Science Fair Finalists projects? You should look at his. The awards are going to be decided by tonight...

Also, check out the endosymbiotic theory if you're interested. It's an theory of how the mitochondria and the chloroplasts formed, when larger prokaryotes devoured smaller prokaryotes to live in a mutual, symbiotic relationship. The mitochondria/chloroplasts aid in respiration and photosynthesis, while the larger prokaryote provides shelter.

Another theory of how chloroplasts and mitochondria formed is that the phospholipid cell membrane infolded and creat pockets of enzymes, but this doesn't explain why these two organelles would contain their own RNA.

It's a very interesting topic...