All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 AM

jojospower is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to jojospower
Question making saltwater into frestwater

i need help no how to make saltwater into to the frestwater that we can use. if any one can help me let me know. e-mail me if you have to. thank you for your time and hope to here from you. [email]jojospower@yahoo.com[/email] help help help help i do not have what i need for the next turn in. let me know help help help

Last edited by jojospower; 02-22-2006 at 05:46 AM..
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Distillation. First, boiling the water into water vapor and leaving the salt behind. Then cooling the water vapor into water (in another container). Though, if you only want to see how much salt is in the water, then you can just evaporate the water off. Or you can just weigh it. Cause water's density is 1 g/mL, just weigh the water (in grams) and see you much water you have, and subtract the two to get the weight of the salt.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Well, I think the set up is for you to figure out. The way I did it (since I had access to the equipment), is boil the water in a beaker with a rubber stopper. Inside the rubber stopped is a glass tube that leads to a conscending tube wrapped in another tube. In the space between the two tubes, cold water is cooling the water vapor in the inner tube. The inner tube leads to a beaker where purified water is contained (also called distilled water) and the cold water (then warmed) goes back to the sink through a rubber hose.

(Exactly why I didn't mention it in the first place and gave you other suggestions other to distillation.) Good luck!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:56 AM

Lightbulb

i may be able to help you do what you would like to do.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:45 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Well, I think the set up is for you to figure out. The way I did it (since I had access to the equipment), is boil the water in a beaker with a rubber stopper. Inside the rubber stopped is a glass tube that leads to a conscending tube wrapped in another tube. In the space between the two tubes, cold water is cooling the water vapor in the inner tube. The inner tube leads to a beaker where purified water is contained (also called distilled water) and the cold water (then warmed) goes back to the sink through a rubber hose.

(Exactly why I didn't mention it in the first place and gave you other suggestions other to distillation.) Good luck!
thanks for all the help i thank that it will help us out and i know that you have one to do to and you helping us is so nice thankyou and i will tell the girl that i got this for that you to jojospower
Old 02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned
Regular Contributor

prettyeyes85 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to prettyeyes85 Send a message via Yahoo to prettyeyes85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojospower
thanks for all the help i thank that it will help us out and i know that you have one to do to and you helping us is so nice thankyou and i will tell the girl that i got this for that you to jojospower

jojospower do you have a yahoo name
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Talking Private Message

Try not to just make conversation on the thread. If it is a simple question you could just privite message him.