All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Physics (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 AM

COMEBEMYDEMISE is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to COMEBEMYDEMISE
Post Pre-Ap Egg Drop Project

hello...i am a student in a Pre-Ap physics class and i need assistance with my eggdrop project. though it is similar to all of the other egg drop problem which basically consist of the egg not break when being tossed off a high position, my pre-ap teacher has made some adjustments to our project which limit our uses of certain objects. i have some ideas that i think might work but i wanted to get second opinions to see what you might think about my ideas or if you have any suggestions.

Objective: Each student is to design and build a box of 5 inches in length on each side, which will keep one large size raw egg from breaking after a fall from 40 feet onto conrete.

Restrictions:
the only material provided by the teacher is masking tape (and very limited amounts given). the apparatus may not contain any substance which will splater including peanut butter, jello, liquids, fruits or vegetables, powdered soap, flammable substances or any kind of glass. NO PARACHUTES or aerodynamic devices. if foam, cotton or any such materials which are "spongy" are used, only one of these "spongy" materials may be used and cannot occupy more than one-third the volume of the box. Any other filler material used also cannot occupy more than one-third the volume of the box.
__________________________________________________ _______________
i thought maybe i can use the filler substance which they do insolations in housing to cradel the egg. i just dont know if this substance will harden and crack. also i have to be able to remove the egg and im not sure if this substance will allow me to remove it.

another idea i had was to take four pieces of styrofoam and cut the ends facing the egg to take the shape of the egg. in this the styrofoam will cradle the egg and if it is tightly positioned (with other materials for it not to move) the egg wont move when it reaches impact. my concern about this is that the styrofoam might bend or break and the egg would crack.

my last idea was to create a box inside of a box. i would use the carboard binding of paper towel rolls in order to hold the second box in the middle. inside of this smaller box. i would fill with a cotton or marshmellow. my concern is that the smaller box might move freely or that the paper towel roll might not hold the box up.

PLEASE ANY IDEAS FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT MY SN: FEELMYTEARZ1203 - aim

If you do please announce yourself by saying your name and saying your from the science project forum

THANK YOU I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS, IDEAS and CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM