All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)
Expert Contributor

All Knowing is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to All Knowing Send a message via MSN to All Knowing Send a message via Yahoo to All Knowing
Default This is for Madscientist

Ok, I learned how to make a homemade bomb. All you need is a gatorade bottle, aluminum foil, and the works toilet bowl cleaner(liquid form). This is a good chemistry project foroutside use only. Ok after you have the gatorade bottle with the cap remove all the liquid. Then take the cap off put aluminum foil in small balls and fill it 3/4 of the way up. Afterwards fill it with the works all the way put the cap on and stand back for about 2 minutes. Then boom, it blows!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Really interesting....

I suppose this is because the cleaning agent reacts with aluminum to form a kind of gas. (If the cleaning agent is acidic, then that means hydrogen gas and a salt is formed.) As the pressure builds inside the bottle, the bottle explodes. Am I right?

Would someone care to try it? Or verify my hypothesis that it's caused by acid? Try adding something like HCl or H2SO4 inside of cleaning agent and see if it would work or not. Actually, it would be cool if you test if the size of the aluminum balls affect the rate of the explosion. (something related to what contributes to the rate of reaction.)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Trainee Mentor (Team C)
Expert Contributor

All Knowing is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to All Knowing Send a message via MSN to All Knowing Send a message via Yahoo to All Knowing
Exclamation Yes

Im pretty sure it is acidic because...... The bottle got hot and started to expand unit it couldnt hold any more pressure and just blew up.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

This is a good idea for a science project. Test which acids are more effective in this by using a stop watch and calculating the time of explosion.