All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Don't Have Any Ideas Yet? > Middle School Science Fair Project Ideas
User Name
Password

Old 03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

EchoFlora is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Did you actually perform it? Just wondering, and wondering what results you got. (Though I have a set of results in my head, I want to see how it compared to yours.)
Nope, sorry about that one, getting your hopes up. My group wanted to do something else; here's something else I'm kinda troubled by:

"Design an experiment to explore any of the topics we have covered this year. This must be an ORIGINAL experiment. DO NOT copy an experiment from the book or from the Internet."

That would include cells, Punnett squares, probability, and the skeletal system.

Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
My life is ruined.
It all started in kindergarten.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Wow! You have a broad range of topics. Choose one of them, or develop an experiment that would include at most two. (Suggestion: my chicken bone thing isn't something that would be usually found online. It's a pretty original experiment.) Um...would you be interested in fruitflies and observing their traits? You'll need to get them tho, and you'll need to start research. (And these traits aren't as simple as the monohybrid 3:1 ratio...there's the epistasis 9:4:3, then the dihybrid, 9:3:3:1 (I think), etc.) And you'll have to learn how to do a chi calculation. (If I'm not remembering wrong...) But you'll need a calculation to figure out the ratios and figure out the traits of the fruitflies. (Though I wouldn't think it's good to do this one, cause it's a pretty standard experiment (not very original))
Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

Well, I don't need something to that extent, I guess. But I think that would be a good one for something else; too bad, I didn't learn any of that.
Am I being too picky? Sorry!

If anybody has some more ideas, and you'll post onto this thread, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
My life is ruined.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

Uhh...any ideas? Please post 'em here!
Sorry for sounding impatient. It's just that I would like to set some time for my project...
Thanks!
My life is ruined.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:00 PM

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

How about this? You choose, from out of your four topics, one that you'd really like to do an experiment on. Then I'll help you think up of something.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

Quote:
How about this? You choose, from out of your four topics, one that you'd really like to do an experiment on. Then I'll help you think up of something.
Oh, hey, thanks! It would have to be the skeletal system.
Thanks again!
My life is ruined.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFlora
Oh, hey, thanks! It would have to be the skeletal system.
Thanks again!
So once again, I would consider the chicken bone experiment, or modify this experiment.

Also, it would be interesting if you can get owl pellets and dissect them for the bones. That is, if it doesn't have to be an experiment. It's really fun. (Owl pellects are the fur and bones of the rodents that the owl eat and throw up. You go in for the bones.) Then out of the bones, you make a 3-D or 2-D model of the skeletal system.

Also, if it doesn't have to be a experiment, you can try making a model. I highly recommend the owl pellet lab.

Research about it some more.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

Default A question about my project...

How and why does (dissloved) salt/sodium make a bone harder?
How and why does wine (like rice wine) make a bone harder?
How and why does (dissolved) sugar make a bone softer?
How and why does Mountain Dew make a bone softer?
How and why does lemon juice drain a bone of its minerals/calcium?
Thanks!
My life is ruined.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 PM

Make a bone harder? How did you measure hardness?

I don't know (or have a clue) about why alcohol or Na and Cl ions would make something harder, but I have a hunch about the others.

As for Mountain Dew, should be the same as sugar, but I don't understand sugar either. Check out the composition of bone. Perhaps give you a hint. I wouldn't think sugar would have any effect on calcium or phosphate...

Lemon juice? I believe it's the acid, though you'll have to make sure. Like vinegar, an acid, it makes the bone softer, right? Oh, yes, Ive read somewhere that acid makes calcium more soluble in water, so it probably dissolved with acid. Once again, you can verify it with other acids, like HCl.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Regular Contributor

Quote:
I don't know (or have a clue) about why alcohol or Na and Cl ions would make something harder, but I have a hunch about the others.

As for Mountain Dew, should be the same as sugar, but I don't understand sugar either. Check out the composition of bone. Perhaps give you a hint. I wouldn't think sugar would have any effect on calcium or phosphate...

Lemon juice? I believe it's the acid, though you'll have to make sure. Like vinegar, an acid, it makes the bone softer, right? Oh, yes, Ive read somewhere that acid makes calcium more soluble in water, so it probably dissolved with acid. Once again, you can verify it with other acids, like HCl.
Too bad. We didn't even learn about acids or bases in science. Not yet. I don't think we will. I've only been in contact with them a few times during summer school. Anyway, to stop spamming, Eh...by the hardness, I meant if you can actually bend the bone. Mountain Dew has more sodium and sugar than Coke and Sprite. I know that much. Composition of the bone? You mean, the outer membrane, compact bone, bone marrow, and spongy bone?
My life is ruined.
She's still in my class.
After almost ten years.