All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade K - 5 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades K-5)
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2005, 02:59 PM

dory is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question does food smell effect food taste? science project

My son is in 4th grade and he has chosen "Does the smell of food effect the taste of food" as his science project. He stated the problem, and he hypothesized "yes, the smell does effect the taste". I am hitting a brick wall on helping him "planning the procedure". Can anyone suggest materials? He has blindfold, fruit and vegetables but I don't think that is extensive enough. I don't want to do his project of course, but I need help with other ideas. I was thinking a pickle, licorice and red pepper hummis, just to shake things up. Also, for the step-by-step, what would the "acceptable" amount of "subjects" (victims?) be to make it a worthy experiment? This isn't due until the 16th, but our weekdays are pretty full already. Any help would be appreciated! Oh, also, any suggestions on the best way to present the data collected: chart, table or graph? Thanks so much!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader FLP/Team C Mentor)

BroadwayBaby is truly a scientist!
Post RE : Smell affects Food Project

First of all, great job for wanting to help you child! Second, i would take a food pyramid and divide it into sections and subsections. For example-
Grain-
Cereal
Rice
Bread
Meat-
Red Meat
White Meat
Eggs
Nuts
ETC>

I would pick at least 1 food from every subsection. Then, i would pick at least 10 children. You may want to never your son's experiment down like so-

How does smell affect 4th graders

How does smell affect 4th grade males/ females

This will cut down the need of subjects. I would then have each child smell a food item first and try to guess what it is. Then, have them taste it and guess what it is.

I hope your son's experiment goes well and he keeps up a love for science. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Food science project - Smell and Taste

hi there Dory,

We always like it when parents come online to help their kids. There's definitely a big advantage when a parent is involved...at the very least, it improves the quality and level of communication!

BroadwayBaby's got some great suggestions! I'd just like to add - pick a mix of food types - some which are strong smelling, and some which don't give out a smell. You might need to narrow down your hypothesis to uncooked foods (otherwise, you'll have to address the difference between cooked and uncooked foods). For your subjects, the more the better - at least 10 people if possible, as BroadwayBaby says. You should keep profile of your human participants constant - all men/adults/caucasian etc... otherwise, you might have to deal with the possibility of different results for different people.

You also need to pick a suitable environment (location, temperature, lighting condiition) and keep that constant for each of your experiments.

I would suggest presenting your data in a table. It would be easier to understand, and you can include much more detail :P
Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 AM

Lightbulb I agree

Mad, you completely read my mind! I was just about to post something saying to keep a record of subjects! You should do this because, different nationalitys often have a strong sense of taste and smell for certain types of food. For example, people with hispanic heritiges will respond better to mexican foods. Once again, Great Job for helping out!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM

Smile great info

Well, this weekend we have to complete the project. I really appreciate the great info you provided. The science fair is on the 16th so I will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01 PM

Talking

Good Luck!

You’ve been portrayed a thousand different ways
But my heart can see you better than my eyes
‘Cause it’s love that paints the portrait of your life

The face of love
The face of love
You look more like love everyday

Let us see...
Let us be you face.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 AM

Cool Job well done

My son did very well on his science project. He had two interviews and he was rated as proficient in both of them. His overall assessment was excellent. Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Mad Scientist
Expert Contributor

Mad Scientist is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Your son's science projects

Congratulations dory,

We're glad to be of help! (We have to thank BroadwayBaby especially for her initiative!) Thanks for letting us know how well your son did! It's always very satisfying to know that what we're doing here means something!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM

dessert555 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Thumbs up great job

i like it it is a good poem or whatever it is remember keep GOD first in your life and he will help through everthing
Old 01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default ya know

i found out that when you plug your nose, you cant' taste as well. any1 know y?