All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 9-12 Science Fair Projects > Biology (Grades 9-12)
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Regular Contributor

Living_Chemistry is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry
Unhappy Help! I'm having difficulties...

Hey! What's up?
My science fair is quite soon, and I am attempting to test the affects of alcohol on a spiders ability to spin a web. *copyright*. I am frightened, becuase I have no way of feeding the spider the alcohol! I cannot give it to a fly and put him on the spiders web, because the insect has to be alive for the spider to detect the struggling on the web.

I'm in desperate need of help, and I am thankful for any suggestions.

P.S. This is really urgent!

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Exclamation A Few Ideas

okay... just a few ideas...

First off, why don't you try putting alcohol on the food of the flies? Let's say you use fruit flies (providing that the spider is responsive to those), so put alcohol on some mashed bananas, put the bananas inside for a day or two (fruit flies reproduce quickly) and use the fruit flies. Also, you want the alcohol INSIDE the flies. There's no point in dunking the fly in alcohol. Also, why do you have to use flies? From what I know, spiders catch any kind of insect in their web, from millipedes or butterflies... Are you sure the fly is the easiest organism to use? (I actually think the fly is, but you might want to check it out. There are many types of flies, so select your organism wisely.)

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Regular Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Living_Chemistry Send a message via Yahoo to Living_Chemistry
Question Panicking

Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure that'd work, but then I have no way of measuring how much alcohol the fruit flies have consumed, and the alcohol might also affect how the fruit flies reproduce. I hope it works though!

The other suggestion I got was to put rubbing alcohol on the spider or his food. Would this work????

Yours truly,

Joker Jones
Old 01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Mentor (Team A)

rachaelroxursox2 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to rachaelroxursox2

rubbing alchoal will kill the fruit flies unless you give them the smallest amount possable but if you do this it will not affect the spider at all. Why can't you dunk the flies in it? I'm not sure how spiders really digest it but I don't understand why dunking wouldn't work.
ooo ooo

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, FUNNY MONKEY
Old 01-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Regular Contributor

Question Rubbing alcohol

That's true. Dunking fruit flies in alcohol would kill them. Thank's for responding!

I don't think I can dunk the spider's food because
1) That would creep me out
2) That would probably kill them, and the motion is needed on the web for the spider to detect them

I'm not sure, but does anybody think that if I put rubbing alcohol directly on the spider, would his skin absorb it and affect him the same way?

Anyways, as I was typing this, I realized that there's a spider-killing ad above the forum, but below the blue bar. Heh heh the irony of it all. Thanks for your time!

Yours truly,

Joker Jones
Old 01-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Exclamation Alcohol Dunking?

Well, I don't know about spider anatomy that well, but spiders--don't they have exoskeletons? You can try dunking the spider in alcohol, but that is testing the effect of alcohol on the exoskeleton of the spider, not INSIDE the spider. But that is still a valid experiment.

As for why dunking fruit flies in alcohol won't work, it's for the same reason of INSIDE the spider. Perhaps the stereotype is wrong, but don't spider gain nutrients by sucking the blood of its prey? So it won't get any alcohol just by spinning a web around an alcohol-dunked fly. The alcohol has to be inside the blood of the fly.

And advice from my own experience, don't assume that everything will work out fine. Every experiment will have its glitches and you will need time to sort these glitches out and make modifications to the procedures. Try to do this as early as possible so in case anything happens, you have time to sort it through.

Anyways, good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Regular Contributor

Unhappy Oh no!

If that's true, and spiders do suck the blood, it changes quite a bit. I thought (through the small amount of research I've done so far) that the tightly spun silk squeezed the insect and crushed it, and the spider liquifies it as it drinks it, so it eats the entire insect.

*Groan* I don't know what to do now.

Eh. I guess that's why they call it experimentation!

Hopelessly devoted,

Joker Jones
Old 01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team B)

satfire311 is truly a scientist!
Send a message via AIM to satfire311
Default The Flp

PLease post this also in the relevant forum "9-12 Chemistry" it also belongs there.
~The FLP

The Harder the Conflict... The Sweeter the Victory
Believe, and things will happen