All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Chemistry (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM

infiniti is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Default Water Purification

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I was just wondering if you can help me on me and my friend's science fair project.

What we're planning on doing is testing different methods of water purification, and trying to conclude which is the best/most practical method of doing this.

We know only two methods right now, which are distillation and filtration. Can anybody help me list more? And where can I obtain the tools to do them?

Also, is there a method of accurately testing the purity of the water, since just looking at it with the naked eye doesn't seem to be too accurate.

Thanks for reading, and I really hope you can help me here!

Last edited by infiniti; 11-12-2008 at 11:49 PM..
Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

doomrex is a helpful and nice person

I don't really know if this is distillation or filtration, but boiling water is said to "purify" it. All it really does is kill germs and such, but if that's what you mean, boiling water is a way.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Expert Contributor

colleen_13 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to colleen_13
Default well...

to tell you really, I would change your project, that one isn't very easy to do in a sense, I am not trying to be mean, but I would just go with something that is a little easier to get information about.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM

infiniti is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Ah, yes, the problem is, I already got the project registered with the teacher, plus, I found some good information from a book and it turns out that I can either go to a pool supply store to get them to either test for free or a small fee, or I can get small "kits" to test the pH and chlorine for about $5 at Walmart.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Expert Contributor

colleen_13 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to colleen_13
Default oh...

well then I would test the Ph strips, those will be more effective, but I might also go to the pool supply store and get that. I would test both and see what results you would get. Then you could compare and contrast both, and tell which one was more efficient and better.

hope this helps...