All Science Fair Projects  

Science Project Forum

Welcome to the Mad Scientist's Forum! Join thousands of other students who've received help from the Mad Scientist and our science Mentors!
Register first, then post your questions below. Registration takes only 1 minute! Meet the Mad Scientist
Lost your
password?
Go Back   All Science Fair Projects > Get Help for Your Grade 6-8 Science Fair Projects > Food Science (Grades 6-8)
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team B)

janine is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Question question hurry

i was wondering if you can help me?i need help on trying to figure out how to do an experiment.my question is which soda contains the most fizz pepsi,sprite,or coca cola?i dont know how iam going to measure it or do surveys.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Talking

There is one way of doing this. What you can do is line up three glasses in a row. (you will need three people for this) The three people grab the three types of cola and open them at the same time. Immedtialy after you open them you will pour the pop into the glasses at the same level. then you start timeing with your stopwatch. This may take a long time but you wait till there are no more visible bubbles appering and you see which one will last the longest.

Dont forget to have FUN!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team B)

janine is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Smile hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinner
There is one way of doing this. What you can do is line up three glasses in a row. (you will need three people for this) The three people grab the three types of cola and open them at the same time. Immedtialy after you open them you will pour the pop into the glasses at the same level. then you start timeing with your stopwatch. This may take a long time but you wait till there are no more visible bubbles appering and you see which one will last the longest.

Dont forget to have FUN!
thank you very much for helping me i appriciate it.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Trainee Mentor (Team D)
Expert Contributor

Grinner is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via MSN to Grinner
Smile <!>

No problemo
Old 01-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Thumbs up Never would have thought

I like the way you think Grinner. I wouldn't have thought to do it in that way.

P.S. I am kind of.....
P.S.P.S. I'm just kidding good work.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

I'm wondering though, does the amount of fizz naturally correspond to how long the fizz will last?

I'm wondering if it would be easier to measure the pressure inside the soda, cause if there is more CO2 (the fizz is carbon dioxide dissolved in the sugared water), there would be definitely more pressure. And then again, I don't know how to measure the pressure of a liquid in a closed container.

Also, I wonder if you can measure how much fizz is in by just shaking it as hard as you can and measure how much soda is left after all the fizz is gone.

As you've notived, I've been using "I wonder," so these are my thoughts. So if you want to confirm it, you can only try it for yourself and see if it works or not.

Also, just some warnings, the amount of CO2 that will undissolve and come out as fizz depends on temperature as well as pressure. Pressure usually stays around 760 torrs. But temperature, make sure the sodas are all room temperature or refrigerator temperature.

Just some topics you can research: the gas laws --how the temperature/pressure/volume changes when one of them changes. Like temperature gets higher, volume gets higer, and less solubility.
Check out the solubility curve of CO2. It tells you how much CO2 you can dissolve at a certain temperature in a certain amount of water.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Mentor (Team C)

SmartyC is truly a scientist!
Talking Wow

I thought about the temps, too. But never on how the amout might effect the process.

Thanks Dreamer and Grinner for taching me something new today!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyC
I like the way you think Grinner. I wouldn't have thought to do it in that way.

P.S. I am kind of.....
P.S.P.S. I'm just kidding good work.
ok. first of all, wouldn't it be PPS instead of PSPS but that's besides the point. You could also study which chemicals make fizz and measure how much of it is in each.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikelost
ok. first of all, wouldn't it be PPS instead of PSPS but that's besides the point. You could also study which chemicals make fizz and measure how much of it is in each.
Chemicals that release fizz? Can you specify?