View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaufin/charger
Heres what it is called not found on this site

Vinaigrette V. S. Coca Cola
If you have watched someone make an oil and vinegar salad dressing, you will have undoubtedly noticed that the oil and vinegar separate after a while. Does this happen to some other liquid made up of different substances? How about Coca cola - would it ever separate into it's constituent parts?

any help would be appreciated Mad Scienctist.
Do you know how water and oil separate? This is the same concept. Oil is made up of lots of hydrophobic (water hating) chains. (Research the composition of oil. It has a lot of fatty acid chains linked to glycerol.) Vinegar (acetic acid), has the function group COOH. The hydrogen molecule breaks away in solution to become COO-. (COO minus.) Because the proton of the hydrogen breaks away (hydrogen is basically one proton) and protons are positively charged, it the molecule becomes polar. Polar and inpolar liquids cannot dissolve in one another, such as water (polar with a negative oxygen end and positive hydrogen ends) and oils cannot mix.

Would it happen to any other liquids? I don't know. It depends on what the solution is composed of. So you can try performing that experiment.

Good luck!