View Single Post
  #2  
Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 PM
colleen_13's Avatar
colleen_13 colleen_13 is offline
Senior Member
Expert Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 11
colleen_13 is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here
Send a message via AIM to colleen_13
Default how about this...

You could electrocute a pickle and see if there are acids in the pickle that can be triggered by electricity. (there are)
You insert a wire (from a split electrical cord) into each end >>
of the pickle. Then you plug the cord into the electrical outlet. The >>
pickle lights up.

Results:
Well, as you apply a voltage across the pickle, the pickle begins to
conduct electricity. You can verify this using an ammeter to measure the
current. The pickle gets warm/hot (just as in an electric stove when current
is passing through it). A layer of vapor is generated around the
electrodes; it acts to insulate and cut off the flow of
electricity. Essentially,
a gap is created between one of the electrodes and the rest of the
pickle. Current does not flow anymore and no heat is generated. The
temperature around the electrodes goes down and the vapor layer gets
thinner until
it is thin enough for an arc to form. It is this spark that, when in the
salty environment of the pickle, generates the orange colored light.
This is a plausible explanation.

hope this helps!
Reply With Quote