View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!
Exclamation Water in Oranges

Well, even tho this is on the easy side, it doesn't matter what scale the project is. It depends on whether you want a challenge or not.

As for the amount of water in an orange, I would suggest that you blend your oranges to mush, drain out the mush and end up with the juice (use coffee filter), then distill the juice to see how much water is left. Or you can leave out the last part, but I think the last part isn't impossible. (Plus, your experiment is more sophisticated with distillation, and you're bascially getting the WATER, not the amount of juice.) Ask your teachers to see if they have distillation equipement. distillation is basically boiling up the water's boiling point, so the water evaporates and condenses into another container, but everything else is left behind. (However, check with your teacher. I don't know if you can distill so that only solids are left. Maybe you can add a liquid with a higher boiling point than water so that there will be SOME liquid left in the beaker when all the water is gone.)

As variables, try different types of oranges. Since oranges differ in size, make sure, (if you're going to see which type of orange will have the most water) that you weigh the orange before you put them in the blender so you will have around the same amount of orange for each type. But be careful to cut them in the same way so you're not creating another variable. Any more questions (if I'm not clear enough, or problems that come up, post or send me a private message.)

Good luck!