View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoh1902
Hi.

I'm supposed to have a question centered in the life sciences (biology) and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

If I were to do a project using bacteria, where can I get the petri dishes and the gelatin? And how do I regulate what kind of bacteria I grow? Can I buy bacteria?

And if I were to grow plants, and cover their leaves with vaseline so they couldn't breathe, how does that relate to real life? Why is it important?

Those are the only two questions I have that are relevant to the life sciences as of now, so if anyone has any other suggestions, that'd be great.
First of all, I suggest the bacteria lab. You can buy petri dishes (agar plates) from your school (your school can order them for you). You can take bacteria from the air, and select a colony of bacteria to transfer to a plate so you'd get a select strain of bacteria. But I believe you can buy bacteria.

Remember when growing bacteria, to keep STERILE! That means, every equipment must be burned in the fire before touching the agar plates/bacteria.

Good luck!