View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Mentor (Team C)

imlikelost is helpful, nice and has lots of friends here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Strength of wood? Well, do you know what wood is? Wood is actually dead xylem cells in plants. Well, then you'll have to know what xylem is, and there's your research!

Well, let me give you a little intro anyways...

Firstly, xylem is a type of cambium cell. There are two types: xylem and pholem (check that I spell pholem right). Anyways, cambium tissue in a plant transport water and nutrients up and down a plant. However, only woody plants have enough dead xylem to make wood (and their xylem is arranged in a different order), which is why many plants, such as sunflowers, have soft stems even though they DO HAVE XYLEM.

Here, you can get started. Oh, a few terms to look up. Herbacious stems. (always check my spelling. I'm sure of xylem and cambium.) Herbacious stems are basically soft stems.

Well, since xylem equals wood, therefore, what plant the xylem came from should therefore determine how strong the wood is.

Good luck! (I like your experiment lots. Check different woods from different plants.) Update us with your experiment and research paper. And remember the correct bibliography and footnotes format if your teacher requires it. Ask me again if you need the correct format!
no offense, but is the average mind supposed 2 b able 2 interprit that? i mean, i'm lost at the like 2nd sentence. lol. keep it simpler? just in case.