View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Mentor (Leader, Team A)

dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud! dreamerofeternity would have made Einstein proud!

I have an idea, though not sure.

The candy is made of sugar, right? Have you ever heard of diffusion? It's pretty hard for a solution packed with sugar, like soda, to contain more sugar, but water doesn't have that many solutes, so thing dissolve easily.

Actually, to test my hypothesis, you should do another follow up experiment. How does the rate of dissolving change as the solution is more and more concentrated? Let's say you time the time it takes a candy to dissolve in pure water. Then after it has finished dissolving, add another one and time it again. Does it get slower and slower? If it does, my hypothesis is right. If not, then there's probably another reason.

Also, check out the nutrition labels on these sodas. Which sodas have the most sugar and sodium? The sodas with the most sugar/sodium, if coincidentally dissolves the candy the slowest, would match with my hypothesis.