All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Projects (Grades 9-12) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What is with the big bang? (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657)

satfire311 11-20-2005 12:38 PM

What is with the big bang?

Okay, scientists have two major theories about how life started.

The first, millions of years ago, particles came together in space and creaated the big bang. The planets, stars, etc. were formed. After, man started out as apes. Then, creatures that resembled apes, except scientists can tell from the hip bones found in a fossilized skeleton(named "Lucy") supposively from one of these creatures, that they were bipeds, not quadrupeds. Eventually over time, we ended up like we are today.

The second,however, is more religious. In the bible, in the book of Genisis, God created everything in the course of seven days, and we never evolved, but were created like we are today.

Which one do you think is true and why?

minnie30567746 11-23-2005 03:20 AM

I believe

In religion. I have been raised in a Christian home for all of my life and do not see how people think we came from apes. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but I just don't understand how.

satfire311 11-23-2005 11:52 AM

That's okay, I believe the same thing and also can not see how we came from apes, but that's just my opinion. What does eveyone else think?

satfire311 11-24-2005 04:53 PM

Hi!!!!!!!!

Please everyone, please post and voice your opinion!

satfire311 11-25-2005 07:11 AM

what do you think?

satfire311 11-25-2005 08:15 AM

Huh?

also, what do you think of the skeleton, Lucy

satfire311 11-25-2005 08:40 AM

Mad Sci, what do you think ?

ScienceIsCool 11-25-2005 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satfire311
That's okay, I believe the same thing and also can not see how we came from apes, but that's just my opinion. What does eveyone else think?

Science does NOT contradict the existence of God.

1) Genesis is written in some sort of poetic language that may not necessarily be interpreted literally (word for word). It talks about the creation process that *could* be interpreted in poetic form. I am not saying God did not literally create man out of dust (woman out of Adam's rib etc). But I just want to point out that the genre of genesis is not necessarily meant to be interpreted literally.

2) The Bible talks about in the beginning. God said let there be LIGHT. If the big bang really did occur, it is said (by physicists etc) that the only way that much energy could exist in such a small ball of energy is if it exists in the form of light. Any coincidence with "let there be light"?

3) Evolution on a small scale does occur. However there is no proof of evolution between major species. Hence people who claim/teach/belief evolution as a scientific fact are not being true to science. A hypothesis should be clearly kept distinct from a theory. Evolution of man from ape etc is a hypothesis, not a theory, not a fact. Today, Christians are fighting back in school in some states, demanding that creationism is taught together with evolution. I personally think this is fair mainly because for too long, evolutionists have basically had license to "brainwash" young students into thinking that it is fact, not theory.

4) Finally, even if evolution IS true (I am not saying it whether it is true or not - because it cannot be proven), why can't God use evolution to create man? This is the position that scientists who believe in "intelligent design" take. They believe that God has set into nature certain laws of physics, biology, chemistry etc that basically allowed man to be what he is today. "Evolutionists" say that there is no intelligent being behind all this. I personally cannot believe that. Any scientists who understand how UNBELIEVABLE complex the human body is must at least struggle with this question - that there is a very big possibility that someone intelligent set this into place. I heard an analogy once - that if traditional "evolution" is true, a coke can will eventually come into being by itself - since a coke can is far less complex than a human being.

Anyway, these are just some ideas for thought. NO MATTER WHAT, do NOT simply believe anyone who tells you "evolution is true" or "there is no God". THINK for yourself. Ultimately, only YOU can make up your mind what to believe. The arguments will go on for eternity and noone can be convinced primarily through logic. There are many many brilliant scientists who believe in God. And there are just as many brilliant scientists who do NOT.

Ultimately, the issue is an issue of FAITH. Do you believe that you are special and created by a creator who cares about you intimately? That is the real question, not evolution versus creation. Confront the real question.

Hedwig 11-25-2005 12:33 PM

great

Science is cool, that is one of the best responses I have ever heard!

Hedwig 11-25-2005 12:34 PM

however

However, I believe in evolution. Because there is no way that the god creation thing could have happened, with the evidence scientists have today.