All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Science (Grades 6-8) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Grade 6 - 8 Science Fair Projects (Food Science) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601)

Mad Scientist 11-17-2005 03:35 AM

Grade 6 - 8 Science Fair Projects (Food Science)

This is the new forum for all questions relating to Grade 6 to 8 Food Science fair projects.

If your's is a grade 6 - 8 project, post your questions here from now onwards, if you want fast answers!

Caboose 11-17-2005 06:07 PM

Help!!!!

I need a way to test my hypothesis of how sports drinks help you perform better than water! Ty :confused:

Mad Scientist 11-17-2005 07:05 PM

Sports drinks vs water

Interesting - what do you mean by "perform" though... are you referring to sports? Like running, basketball etc?

If that's the case, you'll need to do a pretty long statistical project - involving a large number of people, over as long a period of time as possible.

Caboose 11-17-2005 07:58 PM

perform by lets say that you would be able to run longer in a race........etc basically endurance.

BroadwayBaby 11-18-2005 12:15 PM

Make sure your hypothesis is specific. ie Does Lemon-lime gator-ade shorten the time it takes a 4th grader to run a mile. Etc

sciencefreak 11-19-2005 06:56 AM

That also depends on what quality of drink it is...Try interviewing some sports people to conducta survey and add that in your report or project.

Mad Scientist 11-20-2005 07:40 AM

Great suggestions for your sports project

Thanks BB and ScienceFreak,

Great input. YI hope these answer your question Caboose :)

Brooke Opitz 11-24-2005 03:38 AM

I need a science experiment that I could do using the scientific method. Please help me!!!

minnie30567746 11-24-2005 05:33 AM

Well

What topic are you interested in? We would also like to have your grade so that we can tell how hard/easy our suggestions should be.

Mtrou 11-28-2005 04:28 PM

wind/melting ice

Seventh Grade: How/why does wind melt ice?

pamela 12-01-2005 05:49 PM

Helppppppppppp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
This is the new forum for all questions relating to Grade 6 to 8 Food Science fair projects.

If your's is a grade 6 - 8 project, post your questions here from now onwards, if you want fast answers!

I NEED MAJOR HELP

mightygirl_12 12-02-2005 05:54 AM

HELP! quickly plz!

hey there :) yah i need help with my project
i need some information on "WHAT IS THE WATER PERCENTAGE OF AN ORANGE?'' pleaze will u help me?! and hurry i need the information quick!

mokijo 01-08-2006 12:20 PM

Help

Help! I need a science topic for my science fair project, do you have any ideas???? :confused:

imlikelost 01-10-2006 08:19 PM

;ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightygirl_12
i need some information on "WHAT IS THE WATER PERCENTAGE OF AN ORANGE?'' pleaze will u help me?! and hurry i need the information quick!

You could like g oto a library or look it up on google.

imlikelost 01-10-2006 08:20 PM

ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokijo
Help! I need a science topic for my science fair project, do you have any ideas???? :confused:

what grade are you in and what kind of project r u interested in? like putting an egg in vinigar or moldy bread or what.

imlikelost 01-10-2006 08:21 PM

specifics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela
I NEED MAJOR HELP

what grade are u in?is this like a science fair project?do you need an idea or help? try looking in other forums 2. they might help you.

poohbear 01-16-2006 09:08 AM

I have this packet for science fair, on one page there is an example of a science fair board. One of the papers required on the board is error analysis, what does that mean? :confused:

Crazy Brain 01-23-2006 03:32 AM

Try this...

[url]http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/category0.html[/url]

sciencefreak 01-23-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightygirl_12

Hypothesis:

Since there is a lot of liquid juice in an orange, our hypothesis states that there will be 50% or more water in an orange.

Material needed for this experiment:

1. An orange
2. Kitchen knife
3. Paper plate
4. Aluminum foil
5. Weighing Scale

Procedure:

Weigh the orange
Weigh the paper and aluminum foil which is being used to dry the orange in.
Cut the orange in very thin slices to speed up the drying process.
Spread the slices over the paper, which is placed on the aluminum foil.
Keep it in a warm place until it is fully dry. You can expect it to take 4-36 hours depending on the heat and airflow. We used a desk light with a 150 watt lamp and a fan as a drier. We mounted our desk light to be about a foot above the sliced oranges and place the fan about 10 feet away from the orange slices facing the oranges to create airflow. In this way we completed the drying process in 10 hours.
Weigh the orange slices once fully dried. Don't forget to deduct the weight of the paper and the aluminum foil if you are weighing the orange slices with the paper and aluminum foil.

After the orange slices where completely dry, we put them back on the weighing scale and weighed it with the paper and aluminum foil. We then subtracted 15 grams from that total since the foil and paper weighed 15 grams. Just like we stated before, the orange weighed 309 grams before the experiment was started and now weigh 58 grams. To figure out the percentage of solids in the orange, we divide the weight of dry sample to the weight of original sample that is : (58/309=0.1877). To figure out the percentage of water in the orange, we used this formula: (309-58)/309=0.8122
In result of our experiment, we found out that orange is consisted of 81% water.

fish 02-19-2006 12:32 PM

food dyes and materials

Quote:

does anyone know how to use vegetables and fruit to dye fabrics specifically cotton linen and wool?? and can you thing of a good hypothesis and problem

fish 02-19-2006 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=fish]

does anyone know how to use vegetables and fruit to dye fabrics specifically cotton linen and wool?? and can you thing of a good hypothesis and problem

dreamerofeternity 02-19-2006 05:50 PM

It's quite a broad topic to ask what fruit/vegetables could produce the best dye. I suggest you find one fruit/vegetable that contains a dye and ask how does a different type of that fruit/vegetable or how the fruit/vegetable is grown affect the dye.

But if possible, stay away from this topic. (It's pretty dangerous.) Good luck!

seaufin/charger 02-28-2006 02:35 PM

ok help me

Heres what it is called not found on this site

Vinaigrette V. S. Coca Cola
If you have watched someone make an oil and vinegar salad dressing, you will have undoubtedly noticed that the oil and vinegar separate after a while. Does this happen to some other liquid made up of different substances? How about Coca cola - would it ever separate into it's constituent parts?

any help would be appreciated Mad Scienctist.

dreamerofeternity 02-28-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaufin/charger
Heres what it is called not found on this site

Vinaigrette V. S. Coca Cola
If you have watched someone make an oil and vinegar salad dressing, you will have undoubtedly noticed that the oil and vinegar separate after a while. Does this happen to some other liquid made up of different substances? How about Coca cola - would it ever separate into it's constituent parts?

any help would be appreciated Mad Scienctist.

Do you know how water and oil separate? This is the same concept. Oil is made up of lots of hydrophobic (water hating) chains. (Research the composition of oil. It has a lot of fatty acid chains linked to glycerol.) Vinegar (acetic acid), has the function group COOH. The hydrogen molecule breaks away in solution to become COO-. (COO minus.) Because the proton of the hydrogen breaks away (hydrogen is basically one proton) and protons are positively charged, it the molecule becomes polar. Polar and inpolar liquids cannot dissolve in one another, such as water (polar with a negative oxygen end and positive hydrogen ends) and oils cannot mix.

Would it happen to any other liquids? I don't know. It depends on what the solution is composed of. So you can try performing that experiment.

Good luck!:o

seaufin/charger 03-01-2006 12:37 PM

Hey thanks dude!

prettyeyes85 03-01-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Interesting - what do you mean by "perform" though... are you referring to sports? Like running, basketball etc?

If that's the case, you'll need to do a pretty long statistical project - involving a large number of people, over as long a period of time as possible.

YOU'LL NEED TO DO A PRETTY LONG STATISTICA POJECT INVOLVING MANY PPL OVER A LOND PERIOD OF TIME A PROSSIBLE:)

Copiblue 03-18-2006 03:58 PM

Help me!

Quote:

I need more research on my science project on how your sense of sight affects your esnse of taste! By March19!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

dreamerofeternity 03-19-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copiblue
I need more research on my science project on how your sense of sight affects your esnse of taste! By March19!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Okay, first, you'll need to research how sight and taste is perceived. Of course, taste buds, rods and cones in the retina, etc.

But I think the focus of your project is how much do the neurons carrying the signals for taste overlap with the neurons carrying the signals for sight. I don't know where taste and sight is perceived in the brain, so check up on that. But the signals should both go through the pons (relay center for the brain.)

However, in doing an experiment for this, it'll be hard to find any conclusive evidence... (just a warning...)

Good luck!:D

Scienceismylife_2006 05-19-2006 09:42 PM

help!!

i need to find out how to distill ink, milk, and vinegar

sciencechica2 05-20-2006 07:30 AM

Egg Drop

I need some help on the Amazing Egg Drop

We can use any materials we need but not only can the egg not break from falling from a 2s story building but it has to be fast.

Thanks for your help!

dreamerofeternity 05-26-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scienceismylife_2006
i need to find out how to distill ink, milk, and vinegar

Look up the process of distillation. You basically boil something so you can separate two liquids, then condense the vapour into another bottle. The setup is complicated. Google it and you'll get a lot of info about how to do distillations. However, I believe you can only do distillations with liquids with a lower boiling temperature than water.

Also, what do you mean by distilling milk, vinegar, and ink? They're made of water. It's not like ethanol (rubbing alcohol) and water, in which they are TWO DIFFERENT compounds. You really can't distill the things you mentioned, unless you mean boil the water away and look at whatever is left. That is just mere boiling.

bamakittigrl39 08-27-2006 02:34 PM

tooth enamel

Quote:

i was going to do a project to see which is worse for your teeth, coke, tea, or gatorade. i was wondering if you knew of anything that i could use that would respond the same as tooth enamel.

sciencecrzy 09-05-2006 07:34 AM

Acidity Testing

Could someone please help with project on testing acidity levels of different species of a citrus fruit? Thanks!!

geekgirl500 09-05-2006 07:40 AM

Help

:confused: omgee i have a idea i just dont no how to expand it very well like one is do the different types of popcorn affect the amount of kernels left in the bag
or do the different types of mentos affect the hieght of the soda which one should i choose

brunette42 10-11-2006 06:37 PM

testing the vitamin C level in orange juice

i need help! the page attached to your site for this experiement (the third party site) doesnt help much! i cant find any other site to help me with this!

where do you get a vitamin C indicator?

how do you test it?

please help & fast!
thanks!

Science_wiz 10-29-2006 02:55 PM

well!

Quote:

Alright. I am having trouble finding a project, but the only thing is that I can't find anything to meet my expectations. I have been trying to find experiments on the site that say something like, "Does this affect this?" but can't seem to find any that suit me. I have no storage rooms, I have no magnets and I have no way to get them. I am an 8th grader that needs to impress her teacher very much! I have a limited amount of time to work on this project, so I was thinking something really girly. Just because most girls don't like to work on science fair projects.

ikto825979 10-13-2008 04:52 PM

Help MEEEEE!!

please help me i don't know if i should do this project.
Do plants grow better in sunlight or in the dark?
what do you think?:star:

jenee305 10-23-2008 12:07 PM

Help me quick please

desperate parent in need of science fair project for 8th grader. preferably in the food and science category. she wants to do one about vitamin c in different types of OJ, it sounds kinda complicated to me

iloveallenwalker 10-27-2008 06:49 AM

Help! :/

Somebody please tell me what would be my variables for my project? It is do tomorrow, and, to tell the truth, I don't have a clue!

The project is: How do papin and bromelaine digest proteins?
I am putting different fruits into gelatin and seeing if it effects the solidity. Again, I am BEGGING you, PLEEEEASE help me.

:/

princessj96 10-29-2008 04:36 PM

help,help,help

[FONT="Arial Black"]need an idea for science fair i think i want to do sometin on pop on how it effects ur teeth:confused:[