All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Physics (Grades K-5) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   does the size of a ball effect how deep a ball goes into the sand (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438)

lilkanye 10-26-2005 03:10 AM

does the size of a ball effect how deep a ball goes into the sand

i need help

minnie30567746 10-26-2005 01:31 PM

Hmm,

Maybe you can speak to a physics teacher for further info, but I'll help you as much as I can. From what I understand, the size may or may not determine the weight. I would say that mostly the weight will affect it, because that is what will be part of the impact, but you may also want to look into the speed and height that the b-a-l-l-s are dropped at. Hope it goes well. Message me with further questions.

wisteria 10-27-2005 05:54 AM

that's true minnie30567746 it also could be the shape...? :rolleyes:

Ravencraft 10-27-2005 05:35 PM

I did something like this for biology(strange?). The size, velocity, and density affect the size of the crater created.

wisteria 10-31-2005 03:42 AM

i agree but it's too simple think it in as an astroid hitting a planet...

huharai 10-31-2005 12:42 PM

no, the size would not matter. all that would matter is how deep the sand is and how heavy the ball is.

huharai 10-31-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisteria
that's true minnie30567746 it also could be the shape...? :rolleyes:

arent all ***** round?...i think thats what makes them *****. :p

huharai 10-31-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huharai
arent all ***** round?...i think thats what makes them *****. :p

whoa! look at the word *****!!! lmao. they star it out!

minnie30567746 10-31-2005 12:49 PM

Please

refrain from posting sarcasm. What wisteria was probably trying to say was the texturization.

BroadwayBaby 11-05-2005 12:38 PM

Actually,

Actually, the size could matter! The larger the ball, the less the impact pressure is concentrated. The smaller the ball, the pressure is concentrated into a smaller area! Try this with a bouncy ball and a playground ball-

Question: Does the size of the ball dropped effect the deepness of the crater it makes?

Hypothesis: Fill in what you think will happen>

Materials:

A small bouncy ball
A regular sized play ground ball
A beach or a sandbox
A small footstool
A ruler

Procedure:

1:Let each ball go from the top of the footstool into level sand.
2:Measure the deepness of the crater.
3:Repeat and calculate results

Disclaimer: This is a very simple project. To get better results, you would have to make each ball weighs the same, and fall to the sand at the same speed, but for now, it serves its pupose.