All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chemistry (Grades 6-8) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   thx bill, but i still need help on electrolysis (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227)

smartnerd 01-18-2006 03:51 PM

thx bill, but i still need help on electrolysis

i don't know how to prove that i really did it
what if the bubbles are just a coincidence?

alyssaaa25 02-25-2006 07:01 PM

ugh

i got points taken off on my project for the same reason...and i dont think you can actually prove it

bert 02-26-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartnerd
i don't know how to prove that i really did it
what if the bubbles are just a coincidence?

does water electrolysis works in tap water or distilled water better?
tell me the answer and i would like to know if this is good enough for a 9th grade science project If it is not then tell me a 9th-10th grade project on water elctrolysis.

JuStNeEdSoMeHeLp 02-27-2006 01:58 PM

Augh

I hate s/f/p's...anyways dude dont make fun of me for sayin this but what is electrolytolisissdjbhjhxfh er w/e it is

shadowmancer 03-01-2006 02:12 PM

if u can capture all the gas then turn it upside down it will force the oxygen out but keep hydrogen in and then u can test the bowl for hydrogen

shadowmancer 03-04-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuStNeEdSoMeHeLp
I hate s/f/p's...anyways dude dont make fun of me for sayin this but what is electrolytolisissdjbhjhxfh er w/e it is

Electrolysis is a Chemical change, especially decomposition, produced in an electrolyte by an electric current. The word electrolysis means the process of breaking molecules to smaller components by using an electric current. Positive and negative poles of a DC electric source such as a battery can absorb opposite ions of an electrolyte causing separation of ions and creation of a new substance.
Electrolytes dissolve by dissociation. That is when the molecules of a substance break down into charged particles called ions. An ion with a negative charge is called an anion because it is drawn through the solution to the positive charge on the anode. A particle with a positive charge is called a cation. It moves through the solution to the cathode. Water has its solvent properties because it is polar. The molecule has charged ends (+ and -). These charged ends react with charges on other polar substances to dissolve them. They do so by taking hydrogen atoms from the substance to form hydrogen ions. The word electrolysis means the process of breaking molecules to smaller components by using an electric current. Positive and negative poles of a DC electric source such as a battery can absorb opposite ions of an electrolyte causing separation of ions and creation of a new substance.